WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Each year, the Purdue Women in Agriculture (WIA) Team recognizes Indiana women who are leaders and innovators and who have contributed to the success of Indiana’s agricultural industry.
The Purdue WIA Team is currently accepting applications for the 2020 Purdue Women in Agriculture Awards. Nominees will be placed in either the Leadership, Achievement or Emerging Women in Ag categories for award consideration as deemed appropriate by the WIA Team. Women who are interested in the award may nominate themselves, or be nominated by someone else.
Previous winners include women with integral roles in their personal and/or family farm business, corporate and nonprofit leaders, educators, veterinarians, and women in public service roles.
Criteria for eligibility for the Emerging Women in Ag Leadership Award is as follows:
- Reside in Indiana.
- Must be actively involved in Agriculture or is/are planning to pursue an agriculture career
- The nominee must be in high school and/or undergraduate college student
- The nominee has the option to attend the awards ceremony and activities related to the award given at the Indiana State Fair (date TBD). After the initial review by the Women in Ag Team, the award finalists will be contacted to see availability for their attendance at the awards ceremony. However, being during school hours we understand this may not be possible.
- Nominee has done a project that has made a difference and contribution to the agriculture community that is a significant impact.
Submission guidelines for the Emerging Women in Agriculture Leadership Award are as follows:
- The application will be considered for two consecutive years, as long as they still fall into the age requirements. If the nominee is not chosen in those two years, the application may be resubmitted for consideration.
- One to two letters of support should be submitted with the application.
Criteria for eligibility for the Women in Agriculture Leadership and Achievement Awards is as follows:
- Women who have provided leadership and made positive contributions to Indiana agriculture are eligible.
- The nominee must reside in Indiana.
- The nominee must be part of an agriculture enterprise, agribusiness, farm, or commodity organization that operates in Indiana.
- The nominee must not have previously received either the achievement or leadership award.
- The nominee may not be currently employed by Purdue University.
- The nominee must be present for the awards ceremony and activities related to the award given at the Indiana State Fair (date TBD). After the initial review by the Women in Ag Team, the award finalists will be contacted to confirm their attendance at the awards ceremony.
Submission guidelines are as follows:
- The application will be considered for two consecutive years. If the nominee is not chosen in those two years, the application may be resubmitted for consideration.
- Two letters of support should be submitted with the application.
Winners will be recognized at the Indiana State Fair and will receive a complimentary registration and overnight accommodation at the Midwest Women in Agriculture conference in the year after their award is presented.
Applications can be found at https://ag.purdue.edu/Extension/wia/Pages/awards.aspx. Please submit the completed application, with two letters of support, by Friday, May 1 to either of the following WIA Awards Co-Chairs:
Lori Bouslog, firstname.lastname@example.org, (765) 492-5332
Beth Vansickle, email@example.com, (765) 641-9514
— Purdue University
For more articles out of Indiana, click here.