RICHMOND, Va. — The Virginia Egg Council has announced the five independent Virginia restaurants that are the winners of its summer restaurant support campaign: SB’s Lakeside Love Shack (Richmond); The Girl and the Raven Cafe (Abingdon); Our Daily Bread Bakery and Bistro (locations in Roanoke, Blacksburg, Vinton and Salem); Sunrise Breakfast Shoppe (Chesapeake); and Preservation Biscuit Company (Falls Church).
For one month this summer, Virginians nominated their favorite restaurant that serves eggs across the state to win funding. Each winning restaurant received a $1,000 prize to help rebuild, make updates, and/or support employees during the ongoing pandemic.
“Virginia’s egg farmers are proud to give back to independent, family-owned restaurants across the state after a challenging past year,” said Mary Rapport, consumer affairs director at Virginia Egg Council. “With hundreds of nominations, it is clear that consumers are eager to support local restaurants in their communities.”
Eggs served in Virginia restaurants may come from egg farms in the state, and egg farmers are dedicated to supporting the communities where they live and work.
- Preservation Biscuit Company opened its doors in Falls Church just as the pandemic began in spring 2020 and it has thrived, becoming a local favorite! The mouthwatering biscuits are Chef Jonathan Coombs’ masterpieces. The biscuit creator, restaurant pro, and retired army veteran brings his celebrated flair to the beloved southern dish. At the fast-casual restaurant, enjoy biscuits stuffed with savory fillings like eggs, slow-roasted pork or sausage and gravy, or try a dessert biscuit with fresh fruit.
- SB’s Lakeside Love Shack opened in 2017 in the Lakeside community in Richmond, and it is a neighborhood hangout. Opening the friendly, welcoming restaurant that encourages diners to feel, taste, experience and spread love was a lifelong dream for owner Sarabeth (SB) Hagen. Everything on the made-from-scratch menu is cleverly named—like the popular Tin Roof Rusted Hash, made with sweet potatoes, vegetables and a drizzle of salted caramel maple syrup, topped with two sunny eggs.
- Our Daily Bread Bakery and Bistro opened in 1980 and has steadily grown from a small bakery into a bustling patisserie, bistro, and caterer, with locations in Roanoke, Blacksburg, Vinton and Salem. Passionate about the art of baking and hospitality, the restaurant’s creative Eggs Benedict dishes are served using homemade croissants and may feature salmon patties, blackened Mahi-mahi, smoked salmon, duck confit, and pork belly. Said one nominator: “The service is ALWAYS impeccable; everyone always has a smile. The food is ALWAYS absolutely DELICIOUS! And we ALWAYS want to come back!”
- The Girl and the Raven is in a historic, fully renovated building in charming downtown Abingdon. The family-owned restaurant was motivated to open by the pandemic in 2020, when two of the owners moved from New York City due to stalled acting careers. Dedicated to providing an authentic culinary experience, the menu consists of regionally sourced Southern dishes developed by Executive Chef Mitch Wilhoit. Pasty Chef Taylor Jarvis is the mastermind behind the incredible desserts!
- Sunrise Breakfast Shoppe, a favorite local breakfast restaurant in Chesapeake, is always busy in the morning and serves traditional American breakfast with some Filipino flair. A favorite signature dish is the Filipino Breakfast, which includes two eggs, fried rice, sweet sausage or Tocino (pork belly) and toast. “My family has been dining here since I was a child, and the flavor is still amazing every time!” said a social media user who nominated the restaurant to win.
The Virginia Egg Council team recently visited each of the winning restaurants and presented them with certificates and $1,000 checks.
–Virginia Egg Council