SAN ANGELO, Texas — The 48th annual Sheep and Goat Field Day will be held Aug. 20 at the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center in San Angelo at 7887 U.S. Highway 87 N.
The free event will start at 7:30 a.m. with on-site registration. The program will be from 8:30 -11:30 a.m. and will feature Texas A&M AgriLife Research scientists and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service specialists highlighting the work done at the center, as well as the latest innovations, information and technology related to sheep and goats.
In addition, AgriLife Extension’s 2021 Texas Sheep and Goat Expo will follow the field day and run Aug. 20-21 at the First Community Credit Union Spur Arena, 4722 Grape Creek Road in San Angelo.
Field day schedule
The first portion of the program will involve groups rotating between four outdoor tour stops with presentations on these topics:
- Preconditioning Goats to Eat Cedar ‐ Doug Tolleson, Ph.D., AgriLife Research range management specialist, San Angelo.
- Economics of Multi‐Species Grazing ‐ John Walker, Ph.D., AgriLife Research range specialist, San Angelo.
- Hi‐A Corn Cobs in Lamb Finishing Diet ‐ Dan Quadros, Ph.D., AgriLife Research livestock nutrition specialist, San Angelo.
- Choosing the Right Forage Variety ‐ Reagan Noland, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension agronomist, San Angelo.
The second portion of the outdoor program’s four stops and presentations will be:
- Technology to Aide in Livestock Guardian Dog Management ‐ Bill Costanzo, AgriLife Research livestock guardian dog specialist, San Angelo.
- Breeding Sheep for Parasite Resistance ‐ Jake Thorne, AgriLife Extension sheep and goat program specialist, San Angelo.
- Ticks of Sheep and Goats ‐ Samantha Hays, Ph.D., AgriLife Tick Research Laboratory manager, Bryan-College Station.
- Near Infrared Spectroscopy Test Services for Sheep and Goats ‐ Jordan Moody, AgriLife Extension graduate research assistant, San Angelo.
The field day will wrap up with an indoor program, “100+ Years of Wool Research at Texas A&M,” which will feature guest panelists and moderators Ronald Pope, Ph.D., AgriLife Research animal fiber scientist, and Dawn Brown, M.D., Bill Sims Wool Lab manager, both of San Angelo.
Contact the AgriLife center at 325-653-4576 with any questions about the Texas Sheep and Goat Expo or field day.
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
For more articles out of Texas, click here.