CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. — So you want to be a farmer!! You have thought about starting a small operation or you have purchased farmland and buildings and looking at getting into farming some type of livestock, fruit, or vegetables. Perhaps it is a 4-H Project that you would like to expand into a farm enterprise. Not sure where to begin? Look no further! Individuals are encouraged to attend all classes but not a requirement. All classes will be held at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Ontario County, 480 North Main Street, Canandaigua, NY 14424.
The complete workshop fee is $100/per person for the 6 classes. People interested in attending only a few classes may do so at a fee of $25/person per class. Size of class is limited, so register early.
Registration deadline is September 30, 2021.
Topics to be covered include:
Class 1: October 7, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Selecting a farm enterprise: What fits you and your land?
- Understanding agricultural agencies and what they offer.
Class 2: October 14, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Growing in high tunnels
- Organic production: what are you getting into (virtual)
Class 3: October 21, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Farm insurance: realities and liabilities
- Financial opportunities and options: What’s available?
Class 4: October 28, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Farm Business Management: Recordkeeping for tax purposes, doing business as, labor regulations, agricultural assessment, and tax exemptions
Class 5: November 4, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Farmer Panel: Production and Marketing Insights
Additional Class: Wednesday, November 3, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Marketing Your Produce (virtual)
To Register or for additional information or questions contact Cornell Cooperative Extension, 585-394-3977 x 427 or email email@example.com
–Cornell Cooperative Extension Ontario County
For more articles out of New York, click here.