HARRISBURG, Pa. — Online applications for this year’s Student Leader Scholarships are due by June 1, 2020. The scholarship program is designed to recognize outstanding undergraduate students and high school seniors who are pursuing an education in a dairy-related field for the 2020-21 academic year. Ten $3,000 scholarships are available thanks to support from the Center for Dairy Excellence Foundation of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania Dairymen’s Association.
“The world of education has faced a lot of change and uncertainty over the last few months. We hope this scholarship opportunity can empower students to continue their education in dairy-related fields and help ease any financial challenges families might be facing right now,” said Brittany Snyder, dairy education program manager at the Dairy Excellence Foundation.
The scholarship applications are available online to allow students to apply easily from home. Undergraduate students and high school seniors entering college in the fall are eligible for the scholarships.
To qualify, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Pennsylvania resident
- Demonstrate a commitment to working in the dairy industry in the future
- Be a full-time undergraduate student enrolled in a qualifying field of study
- Be a high school senior planning to enroll in a qualifying field of study
Recipients are selected based on academic performance, interest in a dairy-related career, evidence of leadership, character and integrity, and application compliance. Qualifying fields of study include dairy and animal science, agricultural marketing and business, nutrition, food science, agriculture and extension education, agricultural communications, agricultural engineering, or related fields.
Hear from past scholarship recipients who describe the value of the scholarship on their educational endeavors:
- “The impact of the Student Leader Scholarship goes beyond simply making college more affordable. It has also made me a better agriscience educator. I am more aware of educational resources and opportunities made available by the Dairy Excellence Foundation and the dairy industry.” –Nicole Guise, a 2019 scholarship recipient and agriculture and extension education student at the Pennsylvania State University
- “Receiving the scholarship provided me with the financial support I needed to offset the cost of tuition for a semester at Penn State University. I am extremely thankful to uphold the scholarship criteria and to further my education in the dairy industry and agriculture. In a world of many worries and stresses, my tuition isn’t one of those stresses thanks to the generous scholarship.” –Mikara Anderson, a 2019 scholarship recipient and animal science student at the Pennsylvania State University
- “The Student Leader Scholarship has helped me continue making my education a reality. I am currently studying to be a high school agricultural educator and positively impact the next generation of leaders in the agricultural and dairy industry. This scholarship has alleviated financial burdens and allowed me to focus more on my studies.” –Thomas Gabel, a 2019 scholarship recipient and a sophomore at The Pennsylvania State University
- “The Student Leader Scholarship has greatly benefited me and has helped ease the financial burden of continuing my education. Overall, this opportunity has allowed me to expand my knowledge of dairy cattle nutrition, reproduction, and herd health.” – Drew Walton, a 2019 scholarship recipient and animal science student at the Pennsylvania State University
The Student Leader Scholarships are offered annually to recognize outstanding students who are enrolled in academic programs that support the dairy industry. Students can receive the $3,000 scholarship twice during their undergraduate academic career. Students employed by the Center for Dairy Excellence as an intern or in another capacity are not eligible to apply during the period in which they are working for the Center.
–Emily Barge, Center for Dairy Excellence