ALBANY — The New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets today announced the Dairy Promotion Order (DPO) Advisory Board is making available $15 million in funding to boost the New York State dairy industry. The Dairy Promotion Order Board is requesting proposals from organizations to advertise and promote New York dairy, as well as conduct research and educate consumers about New York-produced fluid milk and dairy products.
The funding is made available directly from New York State dairy producers through the NYS Dairy Promotion Order Act and is intended to help dairy farmers and processors further their reach to both domestic and international markets.
Applications for qualifying promotional or research projects should focus on increasing consumption of dairy products in New York State and align with at least one of the following DPO Advisory Board goals:
- Increase the consumption of New York milk and dairy products by youth (lunches, breakfasts, and other offerings)
- Increase retail sales of New York milk and dairy products.
- Improve the image of dairy products and / or dairy producers among consumers, thus improving the acceptance and consumption of New York milk and dairy products.
- Improve communication to dairy producers to inform them how they can assist in improving the consumption of New York milk and dairy products.
- Increase the sales and consumption of milk and dairy products produced in the US and exported to other countries.
- Participation in national programs influencing increased consumption of milk and dairy products.
- Conduct research projects to ensure the safety and / or expand the demand for New York dairy products and dairy ingredients.
Eligible applicants include private businesses that are not affiliated with the DPO Advisory Board, non-profit entities, and research institutions. Project proposals may not promote a specific brand or trade name. Final reports and / or research papers on approved projects may be made publicly available.
To be considered for funding during the 2020 calendar year, applications are due September 6, 2019. Applications and additional information can be found at https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/DI/DInews.html#0.
The DPO Advisory Board advises the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets Commissioner on the disposition of approximately $15 million a year in funds collected from milk producers under the producer-approved New York Dairy Promotion Order. The DPO Advisory Board also makes recommendations on promotion and nutrition education programs and various dairy product and research projects. The Advisory Board consists of ten New York milk producers appointed by the Commissioner who serve a three-year term. The first New York State Dairy Promotion Advisory Board was appointed in May 1972 at the request of dairy producers.
New York State has nearly 4,000 dairy farms that produce nearly 15 billion pounds of milk annually, making New York the nation’s fourth largest dairy state. The dairy industry is the State’s largest agricultural sector, contributing significantly to the State’s economy by generating nearly half of the State’s total agricultural receipts, and providing some of the highest economic multipliers in the State.
–NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets
For more articles out of New York, click here.