OTTAWA, Ill. — University of Illinois Extension invites ag producers, land owners, agri-businesses and others interested to attend the Soil Testing Workshop on Thursday, March 8, at the LaSalle County Extension Office, 1689 N. 31st Road, Ottawa. Russ Higgins, University of Illinois Extension Commercial Agriculture Educator, Daryle Wragge, Extension Ag Program Coordinator, and Mark Baran, NRCS District Conservationist, are the featured speakers. Participants will learn more on how to test soil and how to interpret results. Actual soil samples are not needed for the workshop.
Topics of Discussion
· Importance of modern day soil tests to achieve maximum profit from our soils
· Types of soil testing available
· Interpretive test results for effective and economic application
· How an accurate test sample is taken
· What are recommended levels of nutrient availability in conjunction with various soil types, productivity ratings and achievable yield goals?
· What is pH and how important is it to top soil productivity?
· What are our major micro-nutrient levels for our area soil and how important are they?
The program is sponsored by the LaSalle County Farm Bureau, LaSalle County NRCS, LaSalle County SWCD and University of Illinois Extension – Bureau, LaSalle, Marshall, Putnam Unit.
Advance registration is required by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 6 by calling University of Illinois Extension – LaSalle County Office at 815-433-0707. There is no cost to attend. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please indicate when registering.
Questions may be directed to Daryle Wragge, Ag Program Coordinator, 309-364-2356.
The Mission of University of Illinois Extension is to provide practical education you can trust to help people, businesses and communities solve problems, develop skills and build a better future. University of Illinois Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. Visit our website at http://web.extension.illinois.edu/blmp/
If you have questions or need more information please call University of Illinois Extension, Bureau-LaSalle-Marshall-Putnam Unit at 815-224-0889.
— Jill Guynn, University of Illinois Extension
For more news from Illinois, click here.