ALFRED, N.Y. — Steve Jakobi, ASC Professor/Mushroom Grower and Cornell Cooperative Extension have teamed up to provide our first ever mushroom log workshop. Steve will cover:
- The biology of fungi and the basics of the shiitake mushroom
- Choice of logs (bolts) for inoculation
- Inoculation of bolts: spawn and tools needed
- When to force fruiting
- Harvest, storage, and economics of growing
- Sources of spawn and additional resources
This hands-on workshop will culminate with each participant making their own inoculated log to take home.
Workshop will be held in the Agriculture Science Building at Alfred State College – Room 109.
What: Shiitake Mushroom Log Workshop
When: March 11, 2017
Time: 9:00 – 11:30 A.M.
Where: Alfred State College – Agricultural Science Building – Room 109
—Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Allegany County
For more articles out of New York, click here.