WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Farm families can learn how to ensure a successful ownership transition from one generation to the next in a workshop sponsored by the Purdue Extension Succession Planning Team.
The workshop, “Next Steps to Successfully Growing Future Farm Generations,” will be presented by attorneys and estate planning experts Michelle Adler of Bluffton, Tom Appel of Valparaiso, Dan Gordon of Bluffton and Jeff Washburn of Columbus.
- Long-term care.
- Retirement planning.
- Caring for the caregiver.
- Buy/sell agreements.
- Is an LLC right for you?
“Transferring the family farm business can be overwhelming and daunting,” said Amanda Dickson, member of the Purdue Extension Succession Planning Team. “This workshop takes an in-depth look at very specific aspects of the transfer. We address issues for you as the owner, the next generation, and the business. This is why we encourage the whole family to attend.”
Sessions will be offered throughout the state. The schedule:
- Jan. 18, 1-4 p.m.: White County Fairgrounds; 12 N. 25 E, Reynolds.
- Jan. 24, 9 a.m. to noon: Lake County Government Center-Purdue Extension, Meeting Room A; 2293 N. Main St., Crown Point.
- Jan. 24, 1-4 p.m.: Tipton County Fairgrounds; 1200 S. Main St., Tipton.
- Jan. 25, 6-9 p.m.: Purdue Extension-Gibson County office; 203 S. Prince St., Suite B, Princeton.
- Jan. 31: 1-4 p.m.: Purdue Extension-Johnson County office; 484 N. Morton St., Franklin.
- Feb. 6, 1-4 p.m.: Putnam County Fairgrounds; 191 N. U.S. Highway 231, Greencastle.
- Feb. 8, 6-9 p.m.: Fulton County Fairgrounds; 1009 W. Third St., Rochester.
- Feb. 13, 9 a.m. to noon: Whitley County 4-H Center; 680 W. Squawbuck Road, Columbia City.
- Feb. 20, 6-9 p.m.: Purdue Extension-Harrison County office; 247 Atwood St., Corydon.
- Feb. 27, 6-9 p.m.: Switzerland County Technology and Education Center; 708 W. Seminary St., Vevay.
- March 8, 9 a.m. to noon: Madison County Fairgrounds; 512 E. Fourth St., Alexandria.
- March 8, 5-8 p.m.: Henry County Memorial Park, Smith Building; 2221 N. Memorial Drive, News Castle.
Cost is $40 for the first four family members and $10 for each additional member.
Registration forms are available at https://bit.ly/2kdqeAc and should be mailed to Kelly Heckaman, Kosciusko County Extension, 202 W. Main St., Warsaw, IN 46580. Registration is due two weeks before each session.
— Purdue University