GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season starts June 1 and lasts through November 30. Forecasters at the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA)Climate Prediction Center are predicting near-normal hurricane activity in the Atlantic this season. Experts are predicting a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season.
Additionally, NOAA is predicting 12 to 17 named storms, with five to nine becoming hurricanes and up to four major hurricanes. These numbers are predicted with 70% confidence in these ranges.
Although the upcoming hurricane season is expected to be less active compared to recent years, it is never too early to be prepared. Florida Farm Bureau encourages Floridians to take all the necessary precautions when it comes to preparing for a hurricane. Hurricane preparedness tips and resources can be found by visiting Ready.Gov/Hurricanes.
–Florida Farm Bureau