COLUMBUS, Ohio — We’re happy to announce our popular “Planning for the Future of Your Farm” webinar series for 2023. The four-part online series will be on Jan. 23 and 30 and Feb. 6 and 13 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. This workshop will help farm families learn strategies and tools for transferring farm ownership, management, and assets to the next generation.
Here’s what the webinar will cover:
- Developing goals
- Planning for the transition of management
- Planning for the unexpected
- Communication and conflict management during farm transfer
- Legal tools and strategies
- Developing your team
- Getting your affairs in order
- Selecting an attorney
You and your family will learn from two of Ohio’s top farm transition experts:
- Robert Moore, Attorney with our Agricultural & Resource Law Program. If you didn’t already know, Robert was in private practice for 18 years before joining our program. He provided legal counsel to farmers and landowners across Ohio on business, farm transition, and estate planning.
- David Marrison, OSU Extension Field Specialist in Farm Management. David has been with OSU Extension for 25 years and is nationally known for his teaching in farm succession. He has a unique ability to intertwine humor when speaking about the difficulties of passing the farm on to the next generation.
Because of its virtual nature, you can invite your parents, children, and grandchildren to the webinar, regardless of where they live in Ohio or across the United States. The webinar offers an easy way to include all family members in learning about how to develop a plan for the future of your family farm.
Families must pre-register for the workshop by January 16, 2023 at go.osu.edu/farmsuccession. We appreciate the support of the Ohio Corn & Wheat Growers Association in sponsoring the workshop and helping us keep the cost at $75 per farm family. The registration includes one printed set of materials that we’ll mail to a family member, and other members will have access to electronic copies of the materials.
In-person workshops planned also
Several of our OSU Extension county educators are also hosting day-long in-person versions of the workshop on these dates:
- December 15, 2022 in Auglaize County at The Palazzo in Botkins. Find more information here.
- January 19, 2023 in Fairfield County at the Fairfield County Agricultural Center in Lancaster. Find more information here.
Don’t miss out
We hope you’ll join us for this important series! Even if you already have an estate plan or have begun one, this workshop should help you learn more and ensure that you’re effectively addressing your goals for the future of your farm and farm family.
For additional information David Marrison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 740-722-6073.
— Peggy Kirk Hall, Associate Professor, Agricultural & Resource Law
Ohio State University CFAES