LAGRANGE, Ind. — The Indiana State Chemist Office will be offering the Plain Community a chance to take the Core Pesticide exam and the Category 14 Manure Applicators exam on paper on Dec. 11 in LaGrange County. Those wishing to take the exams at this session must be 18 years old or older, have a religious objection to computer-based testing, have limited ability to travel and you must present valid identification.
The Core Pesticide exam allows people to purchase and use restricted use pesticides on land that they own or rent. The Category 14 exam is for commercial for-hire fertilizer applicators and businesses using commercial fertilizers or manure from a confined feeding operation (CFO) in the production of agricultural crops.
The Dec. 11 exam session will be at 10 a.m. at the Clearspring Produce Auction, located at 2050 S 300 W near LaGrange, Ind.
Here are the steps you need to take to participate in the exam:
- Purchase the study manual for the test you wish to take by calling 765-494-6794. The Core Manual (PPP-C) and the Category 14 Manual (PPP-14) are each $40.
- Preregister by Dec. 6 for the exam by calling the LaGrange County Extension Office (260-499-6334) or the Noble County Extension Office (260-636-2111). Let us know which test or tests you are taking.
- Study the materials.
- Arrive early with proper ID and $55 in exact cash or check (both exams will cost $110). The doors will open at 9 a.m.
The ID requirement for this exam is:
- a valid Indiana ID Card with a photo, or
- a valid Indiana photo exempt ID card, or
- a birth certificate, a social security card and a piece of mail with the name that matches the social security and birth certificate.
Other locations around Indiana that will be offering testing for the Plain community are in Wayne County, Daviess County and Adams County. Check with the Extension Offices in those communities for times and locations. It is my understanding that this paper-based testing option will be offered a few times a year around the state, but will likely be rotated to different locations each season. I would encourage people to participate when it is nearby, or the paper-based option may go away.
For those without the religious objections, the study materials can be purchased in the same manner above. Once you receive your manual and are ready to take the core exam, go to indiana.metrosignup.com online or call (877) 533-2900 to schedule an appointment to take the exam at one of several Ivy Tech locations. The testing sites do change from time to time. The Ivy Tech sites in Elkhart, South Bend and Fort Wayne are currently listed.
— Jeff Burbrink, Extension Educator – Ag & Natural Resources
Purdue Extension – LaGrange County