MT. PLEASANT, Mich. — Michigan State University Extension will be hosting seven Pest and Crop Management Updates for field crop producers, agronomists and certified crop advisors in 2020. MSU Extension specialists and educators will present the latest pest and crop management recommendations for the upcoming growing season. The 2019 growing season was challenging and a number of issues will be carried over into the 2020 growing season. These include resistant weed issues, increased spread of tar spot, and rutted and compacted fields. Participants will receive a copy of MSU Extension bulletin E-434, “Weed Control Guide for Field Crops.”
The Jan. 8, 2020 meeting will be held at the Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center, 2424 S Mission Rd Mt Pleasant. The agenda includes:
- 8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Registration
- Welcome and commodity group updates
- Management of herbicide resistant weeds – Christy Sprague, MSU weed management specialist
- Agronomy update – Manni Singh, MSU cropping system agronomist
- Field crops diseases update, tar spot in corn – Martin Chilvers, MSU field crops pathologist
- 12:00 -12:30 p.m. Lunch
- Fixing those rutted fields, what should be done next – MSU Extension educators
- Nutrient management research update, profitability versus maximum yield – Kurt Steinke, MSU soil fertility specialist
- 2:00 – 2:30 p.m. Wrap-up, evaluation and adjourn
The registration fee is only $30, and you can register online at Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting 2020 or call the MSU Extension Isabella County at 989-317-4079 or Clinton County MSU Extension at 989-224-5240.
Five RUP credits, 3.5 CCA credits and MAEAP phase 1 credits will be provided at the end of the meeting.
Visit the Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting 2020 registration page to see other meetings throughout Michigan during January and February 2020.
— Paul Gross, Michigan State University Extension
For more news from Michigan, click here.