UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State Extension is offering a new online course, Sheep Management and Production, for individuals getting started in the sheep business and current producers who want to improve their operation.
Raising sheep is an incredibly rewarding, yet also challenging enterprise. Producers must provide the best care for their sheep while making sound business decisions to ensure that the operation is profitable. In this course, participants will learn the basics of sheep production and how to manage an operation, including breeds and selection, nutrition, health problems, grazing, and marketing.
Topics in this course include:
- Understanding the basics of sheep production
- Selecting the type of sheep to best meet your needs
- Identifying how to feed to meet the nutritional needs of sheep
- Understanding the reproductive process and implementing appropriate management strategies
- Identifying the health needs and issues of sheep and utilizing ways to correct health problems
- Describing effective ways to market your sheep and products
- Handling financial issues related to sheep production
Participants will earn a certificate of completion upon passing the course.
For the month of July, this course will be offered at a 50 percent discounted rate. To learn more and register, visit the Penn State Extension website.
–Myrannda Kleckner, Penn State University