MONROE CO., N.Y. — Cornell Cooperative Extension of Monroe County (CCE-Monroe) and the Cornell Small Farms Program – Farm Ops will hold a one-day horticulture workshop for veterans who are looking for employment or interested in starting a landscape business. The workshop will be on August 25 from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. There will be several short presentations on topics that are of importance in the field of horticulture combined with 3 ‘Meet & Greet’ sessions to connect participants with employers. The goal of this workshop is to help individuals who are looking for immediate employment to connect with employers in need of employees. It will also help individuals who are interested in starting their own landscape business network with others in the industry and connect to resources that will help them be successful.
The tentative schedule for the workshop is as follows:
- 10:00 Presentation: Welcome, introductions, brief description of CCE, the horticulture industry and careers
- 10:30 Meet & Greet several local employers
- 11:30 Presentation: How plants function, what is soil, types of plants, plant nutrient needs
- 12:00 Lunch (provided by CCE-Monroe & SFP-FarmOps) and Meet & Greet several local employers
- 1:00 Presentation: Proper plant installation, proper pruning techniques
- 1:30 Meet & Greet several local employers
- 2:30 Presentation: Basic lawn care, basic design elements (plants and hardscape)
- 3:00 Dismissal
The workshop is free and CCE-Monroe will provide follow-up assistance to all participants to secure employment or to explore/plan for a start-up landscape business.
For more information contact Marci Muller. (585) 753-2557 or email@example.com
–Cornell Cooperative Extension Monroe County