COLUMBUS, Ohio — The 2022 Ohio State Fair has concluded, providing a tribute of Ohio’s largest industry – food and agriculture – as well as an opportunity for Ohio businesses, state government agencies, musicians, artists, crafters and more, to showcase their work.
“Fran and I were so happy to see everyone enjoying themselves at the fair,” said Governor DeWine. “I appreciate the work of those who had a hand in making the 2022 Ohio State Fair a resounding success!”
“Our goal is always to create an event that honors our agricultural heritage, provides entertainment, and celebrates our great state of Ohio, and ultimately, is safe and family-friendly” explained Ohio State Fair General Manager Virgil Strickler. “By introducing free parking, keeping admission prices stable, and extending free admission to heroes including veterans, active military and first responders, we feel we have provided our event at a value to Ohioans. Most of all, thanks to the Ohio State Highway Patrol, we had a safe Fair.”
A large number of Ohio State Fair attractions and entertainment were included free with admission – including the butter sculpture created by the American Dairy Association Mideast, the beautiful 8-acre Natural Resources Park, free entertainment stages, livestock shows, pig races, petting zoo, Cox Fine Arts Gallery, creative arts exhibit, live music, and more.
“While we’re always excited to see a large number of people at our Fair, our mission remains to provide a quality event,” explained Strickler. “In addition to our entertainment, education, and livestock shows, we expanded comfort seating, cooling stations, accessibility, and more to enhance the visitor experience, and will continue to grow in future years.”
“This year, we are focusing on metrics that matter, highlighting what the Ohio State Fair does for the community,” said Ohio State Fair Assistant General Manager Alicia Shoults. “Fairs are more than just the number of people who walk through the gates. As a growing trend, many fairs across the country are working to place a focus on community impact rather than attendance alone, which is just one of many factors contributing to a fair’s success. The Ohio State Fair is a place where our community comes together to celebrate all that is great about our state. We provide scholarships, youth development, and opportunities for continued growth. Today, we are releasing the following important metrics.”
- 25,560 free admission tickets distributed to community and charitable organizations and partners serving those who otherwise would not be able to attend the Ohio State Fair.
- Free Ohio State Fair admission offered to all libraries across the state of Ohio for any youth who completed the State Library of Ohio Summer Reading Program.
- Exhibitors and participants from all 88 counties.
- Tickets purchased by visitors in all 50 states, as well as Canada.
- 53,755 attendees at paid shows in the Ohio State Fair Concert Series powered by AEP Ohio’s Smart Grid.
- 253 Ohio vendors with locations indoors or outdoors at the Ohio State Fair, representing approximately 62% of all Fair vendors.
- More than 31,000 entries in official Ohio State Fair competitions, including horse shows, open and junior livestock, horticulture and floriculture, creative arts, youth arts, and fine arts.
- $31,500 awarded in scholarships to Ohio youth.
- More than $676,000 in sales at the Sale of Champions from generous buyers, $588,000 of which goes to the Youth Reserve Program to award thousands of Ohio State Fair youth exhibitors.
“Fairs are very weather dependent, and with a few days of rain, it is not surprising that we saw smaller crowds those days. On days with good weather, we saw higher attendance than 2019,” said Strickler. “In full, 886,473 visitors walked through the gates at the 2022 Ohio State Fair, and combined revenue was up across the board, with record-setting concession revenue, sponsorships, and the highest-ever Sale of Champions.” This year’s attendance is a slight decrease of approximately 5% compared to the 934,925 people who attended the 2019 Ohio State Fair.
The Ohio Expo Center is proud to host the Ohio State Fair. The 2023 Ohio State Fair will run July 26 – Aug. 6. For more information, visit ohiostatefair.com, call 1-888-OHO-EXPO or 1-614-644-FAIR.
— Ohio Expo Center and Ohio State Fair