COLUMBUS, Ohio — The 133rd Ohio General Assembly and 116th United States Congress have released their committee assignments for the upcoming legislative terms. Chamber leaders like the House Speaker or party leaders generally select committee chairs and members, but the members themselves often have an opportunity to preference their assignments.
Below are the lists of representatives and senators on each of the agriculture-related committees, with brief biographies of committee leaders included. Ohio readers may note that the agriculture committees for the U.S. House and U.S. Senate only have one member each from Ohio: Representative Marcia Fudge and Senator Sherrod Brown.
Here are the names to know for agriculture:
Ohio House of Representatives Agriculture and Rural Development Committee
- Chairman J. Kyle Koehler (R-Springfield). Representative Koehler is a third-term member of the Ohio House, and received a Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science from Wright State University. He worked for a number of years as a software engineer for government contractors, as well as working for his family business, K.K. Tool Company.
- Vice-Chair J. Todd Smith (R-Germantown). Representative Smith is entering his first full term as a member of the Ohio House, and is a pastor in his home community.
- Ranking Member Juanita O. Brent (D-Cleveland). Representative Brent is a first-term member of the Ohio House, and has experience in non-profit and community engagement work.
- Jack Cera (D-Bellaire)
- Randi Clites (D-Ravenna)
- Paula Hicks-Hudson (D-Toledo)
- Don Jones (R-Harrison County)
- Darrell Kick (R-Loudonville)
- Mary Lightbody (D-Westerville)
- Susan Manchester (R-Lakeview)
- Don Manning (R-New Middletown)
- John Patterson (D-Jefferson)
- Jena Powell (R-Arcanum)
- Tim Schaffer (R-Lancaster)
- Bill Seitz (R-Cincinnati)
- Reggie Stoltzfus (R-Minerva)
- Casey Weinstein (D-Hudson)
Ohio Senate Agriculture Committee
- Chairman Frank Hoagland (R-Mingo Junction). Senator Hoagland is a first-term member of the Ohio Senate. He owns a small business, and has nearly 30 years of experience as a Navy SEAL.
- Vice-Chair Brian Hill (R-Zanesville). Senator Hill is entering his first full term in the Ohio Senate. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Science and an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science from Ohio State. Senator Hill raises beef cattle and grows crops on his family farm, and previously served as a Muskingum County Commissioner. Before entering the Ohio Senate, Senator Hill served in the Ohio House, where he chaired the House Agriculture and Rural Development Committee.
- Ranking Member Sean J. O’Brien (D-Bazetta). Senator O’Brien is a first term member of the Ohio Senate, and previously served three terms in the Ohio House. He holds a law degree from the University of Akron, and served as a prosecuting attorney for a number of years.
- Teresa Fedor (D-Toledo)
- Bob Hackett (R-London)
- Stephen Huffman (R-Tipp City)
- Stephanie Kunze (R-Hilliard)
- Tina Maharath (D-Canal Winchester)
- Rob McColley (R-Napoleon)
- Bob Peterson (R-Washington Court House)
- Joe Uecker (R-Miami Township)
— Evin Bachelor, Law Fellow
Ohio State University Extension Agricultural & Resource Law Program
For more articles out of Ohio, click here.