COLUMBUS, Ohio — Well, the 2020 American Sheep Industry Convention in Scottsdale, Ariz., is unfortunately behind us. Those who attended were greeted with beautiful warm, sunny weather with sunny skies and dry, warm temperatures during the day. Certainly, Scottsdale is somewhere we could have stayed for the remainder of Ohio’s cold, wet, miserable weather.
Upon our return to Ohio, I have to say that we should be beyond proud of the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association’s engagement in the American Sheep Industry Association. The annual ASI Convention attracts over 450 sheep producers. Primary discussions include educational opportunities, council and committee meetings, and policy discussions and recommendations. Each member state has a representative that votes for the issues and policies that ASI will work on during the upcoming year.
Let me first start with how many amazing OSIA members attended the ASI Convention. Not counting the families of the Ohio Make It with Wool Contestants, Ohio had 16 OSIA members attending the ASI Convention.
Below are other highlights of the meeting, including OSIA members and their contributions to the ASI Meeting, the Shepherd’s Voice Award going to Susan Crowell and results from the National Make It with Wool Contest.
The Ohio Sheep Improvement Association continues to be a leader in many areas of the United States sheep industry, especially in the East. There is NO other state east of the Mississippi River that rivals our involvement in ASI. In fact, when I reviewed the ASI state membership numbers, as of May 31, 2019, Ohio actually has the second most state members in ASI, with only the Texas Sheep and Goat Ranchers Association ahead of the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association. This is an organization you can be proud to be a member.
OSIA Member Contributions:
- Susan Shultz, Logan Co., re-elected to a second one-year term as ASI vice president.
- John Anderson, Wayne Co., serving as Ohio ASI director.
- Jim Percival, Greene Co., retired after 2-three year terms as an American Lamb Board director
- Don Hawk, Knox Co., starting his first term as American Lamb Board director, serving on the National Lamb Feeders Board of Directors, and serving on the ASI Lamb Council.
- Amy Schroeder, Hancock Co., serving as ASI Women’s Sec. /Treas., elected ASI Women vice president.
- Rebecca Miller, Columbiana Co., serving on the ASI Emerging Entrepreneurs Committee.
- Bill Shultz, Logan Co., serving on the ASI Genetics Stakeholders Committee.
- Tom Conner, Pickaway Co., serving on the ASI Wool Council.
- Melinda Stevens, Scioto Co., attending as the Ohio’s Make It with Wool coordinator.
- Dave Rowe, Madison Co., Mid-States Wool Growers, Inc. representing wool producers across the United States.
- Roger High, Union Co., OSIA Executive Director re-elected as chair of the State Executives and Contacts Committee.
OSIA members also in attendance at the ASI Convention included Betsy Anderson, Janet Hawk, Holly High, Cynthia Koonce and Marv Schroeder.
— Roger High, Ohio Sheep Improvement Association/OSWP Executive Director
For more articles out of Ohio, click here.