SALEM, Ore. — The Oregon Department of Agriculture is now accepting 2022 noxious weed distribution data to include in the next WeedMapper update. Deadline for submission is February 28, 2023. Data from earlier years will also be accepted if it has not been shared before.
What type of data are we looking for?
Any location information collected for Oregon state-listed noxious weeds. This includes new submissions for those who have previously contributed data, and all past and current data from new contributors. Oregon State Weed Board grant recipients are required to submit new data from grant projects.
The following information is required:
- Exact weed location (lat/long in decimal degrees) or GIS shapefile/geodatabase/feature class
- Type of datum used to collect location (e.g. WGS84). This is not needed for GIS files.
- Weed species name (common and scientific)
- Contact person name, organization, address, phone and email.
- Oregon State Weed Board Grant Number (For OSWB grant data only)
The following information is also requested:
- Date of find
- Type of location (Aquatic, Field, Forest, Pasture, Prairie, Range, Residential, Riparian, Right-of-way, Urban, Wetland)
- Frequency (spot, patch or solid stand)
- Treatment type and date (Biocontrol, Chemical, Cultural, Manual, Mechanical, None)
- Number of plants (in quantity or net acres)
- Gross acres
- Percent cover
- Land ownership (BLM, USFS, other federal, state, county, city, private or unknown)
What format should the data be in?
Please submit in one of the following formats:
- GIS shapefiles or a file geodatabase. These can be point, line or polygon files, but point files are preferred. The attribute tables must contain the required information noted above and as much of the requested information as is available. A template file geodatabase can be sent upon request.
- ODA WeedMapper data submission form. See the attached spreadsheet with a tab with complete instructions.
- Other electronic formats that have the data stored in table form are also acceptable but will be a lower priority for processing.
Paper forms cannot be accepted.
When do we need the data?
Please send your information by February 28, 2023.