SALEM, Ore. — The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA), in cooperation with the Oregon Association of Nurseries (OAN) and other interested individuals, annually award financial grants to support research that would benefit the Oregon nursery industry. These grants are funded primarily through the Nursery Research Assessment Fee, paid to the ODA through nursery license fees.
In 2022, six projects were supported with a total allocation of approximately $167,489.
Grants are awarded to projects focused on the:
- Prevention and elimination of plant diseases and insect pests.
- Development and improvement of cultural methods that are beneficial to the nursery industry
Proposals should be a brief, 1–2 page overview. The workplan for projects must be for activities spanning one-calendar year. Proposals must include the following information to be considered in full:
- Name of principal investigator and collaborators, name of institution, contact information (address, telephone and email). Please identify the primary contact for the project.
- Please clearly connect how this research benefits the entire Oregon nursery industry.
- Project objectives and outcomes (What are the expected deliverables?).
- Overview of methods (How will the project achieve its objectives?).
- Outline how the project will be carried out over the course of the year to meet proposed objectives.
- Budget summaries
(* Indirect costs are unallowable under the Nursery Research Grant Program. Indirect costs, also known as Facilities and Administrative Costs, are those costs incurred for a common or joint purpose benefitting more than one (1) cost objective, and not readily assignable to the cost objective specifically benefitted, without effort disproportionate to the results achieved.)
Proposals are reviewed and prioritized by representatives from the nursery industry. A submitter may be asked to modify & re-submit a proposal if the committee decides it warrants further review. Final approval and grant awards are issued by the ODA. For additional information, visit the research page hosted by the Oregon Association of Nurseries.
A brief written mid-year progress report and a final report, detailing the research results are required as part of the grant process. Reports are to be submitted to the ODA in order for invoices/awards to be approved.
Final award letters will be delivered via e-mail by the ODA. Funding for all approved projects is provided in the following allotments:
- 50% paid upon project approval and full execution of the award agreement with the ODA.
- 25% paid upon receipt and approval of mid-year report
- 25% payment paid upon receipt and approval of a final report
Please send proposals in PDF format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than October 4, 2022 (Tuesday).
If you have any questions about the program or the application process, please email: email@example.com .
Disclaimer: Per statute 571.230, collected funds are for the benefit of that specific industry and the research does not benefit the Oregon Department of Agriculture as a state agency. These research funds are collected by the ODA on behalf of growers through a licensing or surcharge fee.