SALEM, Ore. — The Oregon Department of Agriculture is now accepting 2021 noxious weed distribution data to include in the next WeedMapper update. Deadline for submission is January 31, 2022. Data from earlier years will also be accepted if it has not been shared before.
What type of data are we looking for?
Any location information collected for Oregon state-listed noxious weeds. This includes new submissions for those who have previously contributed data, and all past and current data from new contributors. Oregon State Weed Board grant recipients are required to submit new data from grant projects.
The following information is required:
- Exact weed location (lat/long in decimal degrees) or
GIS shapefile/geodatabase/feature class
- Type of datum used to collect location (e.g. WGS84).
This is not needed for GIS files.
- Weed species name (common and scientific)
- Contact person name, organization, address, phone and email.
- Oregon State Weed Board Grant Number (For OSWB grant data only)
The following information is also requested:
- Date of find
- Type of location (Aquatic, Field, Forest, Pasture, Prairie, Range, Residential, Riparian, Right-of-way, Urban, Wetland)
- Frequency (spot, patch or solid stand)
- Treatment type and date (Biocontrol, Chemical, Cultural, Manual, Mechanical, None)
- Number of plants (in quantity or net acres)
- Gross acres
- Percent cover
- Land ownership (BLM, USFS, other federal, state, county, city, private or unknown)
What format should the data be in?
Please submit in one of the following formats:
- GIS shapefiles or a file geodatabase. These can be point, line or polygon files, but point files are preferred. The attribute tables must contain the required information noted above and as much of the requested information as is available. A template file geodatabase is attached for convenience.
- ODA WeedMapper data submission form. See the attached spreadsheet with a tab with complete instructions.
- Other electronic formats that have the data stored in table form are also acceptable but will be a lower priority for processing.
- Paper forms cannot be accepted.
When do we need the data?
Please send your information by January 31, 2022.
ODA Weedmapper update
Welcome Alyssa Vogelgesang, our new temporary tech to the ODA Noxious Weed Program. Alyssa is working with Beth Myers-Shenai and and we expect to be finalizing the update of 2019 field data (put on hold in Spring of 2020) by the end of November. After that, we will begin an update combining data from 2020 & 2021 field seasons, so now is the time to start sending it our way! Deadline is January 31, 2022
Many of you already sent your 2020 data in and it is staged and ready, but we are happy to take data from any years that have not been shared before. See below for details.
Do you have data to share?
Please contact Beth Myers-Shenai if you have data to share and she can arrange the best way for you to submit your data.
Thanks for your support and sharing your data! Feel free to contact Beth with any questions.
Beth Myers-Shenai, Invasive Plant Specialist
Oregon Department of Agriculture Noxious Weed Control Program