PENN YAN, N.Y. — The New York Animal Agriculture Coalition is currently seeking a Communications Manager. This individual will aid in statewide advocacy efforts and enhance the reach of this farmer founded not-for-profit organization. The ideal candidate for this position is someone with a passion for helping others understand and appreciate animal agriculture, with specific experience in mid to large-sized dairy operations.
Applicants must be passionate, detail-oriented and organized. Successful applicants must be able to relate to farmers and have a knowledge of agriculture with a primary focus on the dairy industry. They must have strong audio-visual technology skills and have the willingness to create content as it relates to agriculture through video, graphic design and still photography. Applicants need to be familiar with a variety of social media platforms and have the skills to organize events and details.
- Implement, organize, and design neighbor newsletters with existing partnering farms and develop relationships to expand program
- Assist in various projects related to building relationships with local media outlets & dairy farmers including a new project titled Documenting Dairy with the goal of developing positive, pro-active news stories
- Collaborate in content development for website & social media platforms
- Aid in the implementation of NYAAC activities, including but not limited to the Dairy Cow Birthing Center at the New York State Fair. Involvement will include coordination of farmer and industry volunteers and serve as the point person for potential new engaging activities on the fairgrounds
- Applicant must be available for the entire month of August until the last day of the State Fair (September 7, 2020).
- Continued professional development as the need arises
- Collaborate with Executive Director on developing new ideas and future implementation plans
Education, Experience & Skills
- A minimum of a two-year degree from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of two years of professional experience in the agriculture field.
- Knowledge of animal agriculture, specifically dairy, is required.
- Experience in creating audio visual content and graphic design work is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated ability to communicate with a broad range of people.
- Must be motivated to work independently from a home office, as well as part of a larger team.
- Travel throughout the State of New York is required at a variety of times, which may involve overnight stays. Prefer candidate that is centrally located in NY.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the individual occupying this position. This individual will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by the board of directors.
- This position will report to the Executive Director.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- This position will offer a salary that is commensurate with relevant experience and skills of the applicant
- Travel and technology stipend also available
- All interested candidates should send their cover letter, resume and two writing samples in pdf format to: Eileen Jensen, NYAAC Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Writing samples should be related to agriculture and can be, but are not limited to, published articles, educational items, letters to the editor, informational pieces, etc.
- If you do not have current writing samples, please draft an article that could appear on the NYAAC blog site or in a newsletter for farm neighbors that provides some insight about the dairy industry in New York.Your topic could be a production practice, a personal story, a current event or general overview.Your target audience is adult consumers.Please feel free to use photographs, graphics and web links to accompany your article. We ask that your article be more no than 500 words.
NYAAC intends to fill this position as soon as possible. Any questions should be directed to: Eileen Jensen, NYAAC Executive Director, at email@example.com
–New York Animal Ag Coalition
For more articles out of New York, click here.