LOCKPORT, N.Y. — Tickets are on sale now for the Niagara Wine Trail’s first ever “Wine & Charcuterie” weekend food sampling and wine tasting event, Saturday, June 4, 2022, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, June 5, 2022, from 12 noon to 5 p.m. The event is designed to pair regionally made charcuterie items with three tastes of wine at each participating winery along the trail. Guests will also receive a charcuterie board branded with the Niagara Wine Trail’s new logo, while supplies last.
“Charcuterie is a French tradition of preparing cured meats and meat products,” said Shane Gustufson, president of the Niagara Wine Trail and owner of A Gust of Sun Winery, in Ransomville, NY. “Charcuterie-style meat and cheese boards have become quite popular recently and include many other foods besides meat, which pair very well with wine. The Niagara Wine Trail is happy to host this first-time event and have welcomed many local vendors to join us to pair their offerings at each winery.”
Each participating winery will feature a local food vendor or special charcuterie items sold at their locations. Guests are encouraged to purchase these food items along with bottles of wine to create their own charcuterie boards at home.
In addition, Chuck Safy, a local charcuterie expert and founder of “Chuckcuterie,” will be on hand at A Gust of Sun Winery (4515 Baer Rd., Ransomville, NY) throughout the weekend with demonstrations on how to make your own charcuterie boards with fine meats, cheeses, fruits, nuts and more.
Virtual tasting passes include three sample pairings of wine and a food pairing over the two days. Participating wineries, with pairings include:
- 810 Meadworks (Medina, NY) – paired with East Hill Creamery Underpass Raclette style cheese with pickled beets
- A Gust of Sun Winery (Ransomville, NY) – paired with offerings from 3 Sister Garlic
- Bella Rose Winery (Lewiston, NY) – paired with offerings from Platter’s Chocolate
- Black Willow Winery (Burt, NY) – TBD
- Honeymoon Trail Winery (Cambria, NY) – paired with an array of cheeses and spreads, summer sausage and honey mustard
- Leonard Oakes Estate Winery (Medina, NY) – paired with House-made Wine & Herb Hummus with Pita Chips or Vegetables
- Long Cliff Winery & Vineyards (Sanborn, NY) – paired with offerings from Dragonfly Jams & Jellies
- Mayer’s Lake Ontario Winery (Hilton, NY) – Bruschetta with Apple Bourbon BBQ sauce and prosciutto and bruschetta with Angry Peach BBQ sauce and grilled chicken
- Niagara Landing Wine Cellars (Lockport, NY) – paired with Smoked Gouda with Bacon or Lindt Chocolates
- Schulze Vineyards & Winery (Burt, NY) – paired with offerings from Jen’s Catering
- Schwenk Wine Cellars (Kent, NY) – TBD
- Victorianbourg Wine Estate (Wilson, NY) – TBD
- Vizcarra Vineyards (Gasport, NY) – paired with Raspberry Rhubarb Sauce on Crostini Bread
- The Winery at Marjim Manor (Appleton, NY) – paired with smoked meats by Heartland Abattoir
Virtual tickets are $40 per person at www.NiagaraWineTrail.org. Must be 21 to attend. Please note that groups are limited to four people maximum. Limos or buses are not allowed during this event.
For more information and a list of food samplings, visit www.NiagaraWineTrail.org. Guests are also encouraged to stay connected by following the Niagara Wine Trail on Facebook and Instagram.
The Niagara Wine Trail will celebrate its 20th Anniversary this May 2022. The organization comprises 14 member wineries, situated between the Niagara Escarpment and Lake Ontario, stretching through Niagara, Orleans and Monroe Counties. Each winery on the trail offers a diverse selection of traditional vinifera style, native, late harvest and ice wines, as well as unique styles such as award-winning fruit wines, meads and ciders. Its mission is to “work together to enhance the wine industry in the region through an array of intimate, authentic and charming guest experiences.”
–Niagara Wine Trail