DES MOINES, Iowa — Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig and Iowa Farm Bureau Federation President Craig Hill honored families from Boone, Buena Vista, Cerro Gordo, Clay, Madison, Mahaska, Marion, Shelby and Story counties with Century and Heritage Farm awards. To achieve Century or Heritage Farm status, each family must maintain ownership of the land for 100 years or 150 years, respectively.
“The Century and Heritage Farm Program recognizes the strength and resiliency of Iowa farm families, and the sacrifices each generation has made to retain the ownership of the land for 100 or 150 years,” said Secretary Naig. “These families all deserve to be recognized and celebrated for reaching this milestone and being a part of Iowa’s rich agricultural legacy.”
“Agriculture and our farm families have long been critical to the vitality of rural communities across the state and the backbone of Iowa’s economy,” said Hill. “It’s a tremendous honor to co-sponsor the Century and Heritage Farm programs recognizing the multi-generational farm families that have persevered countless challenges over 100 or 150 years and kept their farms in the family.”
The Century Farm families recognized include:
- Susan R. Nalean from Boone County
- Sid & Janet Peterson, Greg & Naomi Lovin, Stan Peterson, Bob & Becky Shuka, Kevin & Angie Geisler from Buena Vista County
- Kenneth & Mary Midtgaard Family Farm from Cerro Gordo County
- Dr. Leo and Jane Milleman from Clay County
- Bass Family Farm from Madison County
- The Verros Family Farm from Marion County
- Ralph Schwery from Shelby County
The Heritage Farm families recognized include:
- Dwight H. Randels from Mahaska County
- Ethyleen (Johnson) Sampson from Story County
- Larry R. Sorensen & Dan L. Sorensen from Story County
There were 238 families who received the Century Farm award, recognizing 100 years of ownership, and 103 families who received the Heritage Farm award, recognizing 150 years of ownership, this year. Families who received the award in 2020 could choose to participate in a small regional event or the 2021 Iowa State Fair. The full list of Century and Heritage Farm awardees is available at iowaagriculture.gov/century-and-heritage-farm-program and photos can be accessed from the Department’s Flickr account.
— Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
For more news from Iowa, click here.