PITTSBORO, N.C. — Our 36th annual Small Farms week celebration runs from March 21 to 26. Events will be held virtually, and satellite sites will hold “watch parties” to allow people across North Carolina to participate in the Small Farmers’ Appreciation program on Wednesday, March 23. Those sites are Cooperative Extension offices in Warren, Stanly, Martin, Madison, Columbus, and Alleghany counties (COVID-19 safety protocols will be followed).
Registration information is coming soon!
Small Farms Week 2022 will offer:
- Educational programs on small-scale animal production, plant production, natural resource management, swine production and hemp production.
- Information on the impact of climate change and COVID-19 on agriculture and rural communities.
- The Small Farmer’s Appreciation Program, featuring a keynote address by fifth-generation black farmer P.J. Haynie and the announcement of the 2022 Small Farmer of the Year.
- Updates on initiatives in the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences, including the Small Farms Resource and Innovation Center and the Small Farms Task Force.
- Resources for students interested in careers in agriculture and environmental sciences.
Join us for online educational sessions 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Tues. March 22; 9 a.m.-noon Wed. March 23; and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Thurs. March 24. and for the presentation of the Small Farmer of the Year Award. from 11 a.m.-noon March 23.
–Carolina Farm Stewardship Association