BROOKINGS, S.D. — South Dakota’s 1st annual Meat and Dairy Goat Workshop will be presented by the Value Added Agriculture Development Center, SD Specialty Producers Association and SDSU Extension Dairy. The conference will be held at the Alfred Dairy Science Building on South Dakota State University Campus in Brookings, SD, on July 14, 2018. Registration begins at 8am. Workshop runs from 9am-3pm CST.
The workshop brings together producers, academic experts and industry resources to help build a sustainable goat industry in the state. The event offers producers the opportunity to
· build their knowledge through science-based educational information,
· interact with other participants and
· create connections with useful organizations and educators available to assist with all aspects of the goat industry.
The clinic is designed to provide practical information that can be incorporated in your operation whether you are contemplating goats, a new-to-goats producer, an established goat grower, a seed stock goat producer or a 4-H member.
This workshop will address both meat and dairy goat production, small ruminant health, nutrition and marketing topics though presentations and hands-on training.
· Small ruminant nutrition, parasite control for goats and marketing from Dr. Steve Hart, Goat Specialist at Langston University, Oklahoma.
· Expertise on raising meat goats by Dr. Gerado Caja, world renown small ruminant researcher, Veterinary Faculty, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain.
· Lactation of goats by Dr. Maristela Rovai, SDSU Extension Dairy Specialist.
· Heat and cold stress effects on goat performance from Dr. Ahmed Salama, SDSU Post Doc Research Associate.
· Information on raising a small goat dairy herd in South Dakota from Dr. Alvaro Garcia, SDSU Extension Agriculture & Natural Resources Program Director and Dairy Specialist.
· Expertise on production, value added products and marketing from producers and industry representatives.
The $30 registration fee plus processing cost of $1.20, includes the workshop and lunch featuring locally grown foods. Register by July 11 to ensure access to conference materials and the meal. Participants can also register at the door on July 14.
To register: www.sdspecialtyproducers.org/
For questions contact Cheri Rath at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.facebook.com/events/1997140763653829/.
— South Dakota Specialty Producers Association
For more news from South Dakota, click here.