TIMONIUM, Md. — The Maryland State Fair Scholarship Program annually recognizes the importance of education and participation in the Maryland State Fair. This year, the Maryland State Fair & Agricultural Society, Inc. awarded $2,000 scholarships to nine Maryland youth who were active in the Maryland State Fair and enrolled in an accredited college/university or were high school seniors entering their college freshman year. Applicants completed an essay on the impact of their experience participating in the Maryland State Fair and how the scholarship will be beneficial in helping them with their career goals.
The Marlin K. Hoff $2,000 Scholarship was also awarded to a Maryland youth enrolled in a four-year college and currently or previously enrolled in a 4-H, FFA or breed organization dairy project. The winner was selected on the basis of involvement in the dairy industry, academic performance, leadership qualities, future goals, and financial need.
“Since its inception in 1879, agriculture education has been one of the Maryland State Fair’s top priorities,” said Maryland State Fair Assistant General Manager Becky Brashear. “Our competitive scholarships highlight and reward the accomplishments of youth, help them with their educational pursuits, and promote the importance of agriculture to our state and our world.”
2017 Maryland State Fair Scholarship Winners:
- Lauren Ashley Dallas, of Clarksburg in Montgomery County, is a Montgomery College student.
- Janai Heise, of Hagerstown in Washington County, is a Mt. St. Mary’s University student.
- Skyla Heise, of Hagerstown in Washington County, is a Hagerstown Community College student.
- Josiah Manning, of Huntingtown in Calvert County, is a University of Maryland College Park student.
- Nicholas Parrish, of Westminster in Carroll County, is a University of Delaware student.
- Paul Saathoff, of Denton in Caroline County, is a University of Maryland Institute of Applied Agriculture student.
- Tucker Schmidt, of Taneytown in Carroll, is a West Virginia University student.
- James William Thomas, of Fallston in Harford County, is a University of Maryland College Park student.
- Bryce Zimmerman, of Walkersville in Frederick County, is a Rochester Institute of Technology student.
2017 Marlin K. Hoff Scholarship Winner:
- Catherine Savage, of Dickerson in Montgomery County, is a Virginia Tech student.
— Maryland State Fair