MADISON CO., N.Y. — The 10th annual Open Farm Day is July 28th from 10am – 4pm. Open Farm Day is your opportunity to visit real farms around Madison County. You can discover agriculture at this fun, family friendly, FREE event. But, with 38 farms, how can you have the best day ever? How can you make the most of this event without feeling like you missed something?
- Pick a farm that you can sample some great product. Is there something local that you haven’t tried yet? Maple Syrup, honey, goats milk? Each of these value added products are created right here in the county!
- Pick a farm that you can buy some great produce at. Local produce has higher nutrition, vitamin content, and is at the prime of its ripeness. Open Farm Day is a prime opportunity to find a farm that you can rely on for your summer produce!
- Pick a farm where you can cuddle something furry! There are a lot of different animal farms in Open Farm Day; be sure to visit some type of livestock! You can see dairy cows, beef cows, horses, goats, sheep, buffalo, pigs…anything you want! Be sure to visit at least one place that you can see animals.
- Pick a farm where you’ll learn something. Do you often wonder how they milk a cow? Or how to trim a Christmas tree? Or just what exactly is “distilling”?
- Find something new that you love. When you buy local, more of your dollars stay local, and you’re helping a farm family stay in business. Find a new product that you love. Something that you want to give to your friends and family for Christmas, or someplace you can frequent.
Open Farm Day Passports are available at 10 Price Chopper locations in CNY, in local Madison County newspapers, in Madison County libraries, and local farmers’ markets. For more information on Open Farm Day participants or to download a passport instantly visit www.OpenFarmDayMadisonCounty.com – or follow Open Farm Day on Facebook to keep up-to-date on the latest Open Farm Day news. Be sure to make it to as many farms as you can – visit three or more farms with your passport and you will receive a free Open Farm Day giveaway! Don’t miss your chance to experience agriculture at its finest with your friends and family at this year’s Open Farm Day!
Open Farm Day would not be possible without the support of our sponsors: Price Chopper Supermarkets, Farm Family Insurance, Farm Credit East, Cargill, Inc., Cazenovia Farmers’ Market, Gustafson & Wargo CPAs LLP, Colgate Inn, Colgate University and the Upstate Institute, United Healthcare, Jewitt’s Cheese House, Morrisville State College, Southern Madison Heritage Trust, Organic Valley Cooperative East, Madison County Farm Bureau, DeRuyter Farm and Garden Co-Op, The Gorman Foundation, Friends of Bill Magee, Tanner Insurance Agency, Inc., Dec and Benson CPAs, Byrne Dairy, Madison County Planning Department, CNY Solar, CORE Federal Credit Union, Flour and Salt Bakery, Valesky for Senate, Madison Tourism, The Shoppes at Johnny Appleseed, The CNY Fiber Arts and Produce Fair, Hamilton Whole Foods, Eagle News, and CNY Latino.
–Cornell Cooperative Extension Madison County
For more articles out of New York, click here.