CANFIELD, Ohio — Mahoning County 4-H held their 4-H volunteers Recognition Banquet on Nov. 2 to “raise our hands” in thanks to our 4-H volunteers who make Mahoning County Youth a priority in their lives. Volunteers are vital to the overall success of our Mahoning County 4-H Program. They give of their time and talent to make the best better by supporting our youth in their project work, community service and citizenship as they prepare to be leaders of the future.
4-H volunteers were recognized for their years of 4-H service and our most tenured Volunteers were honored by 59th district Ohio House Representative John Boccieri. Included in this honor:
- Doris Puerner — 42 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Sharen O’Brock — 47 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Terri Dance — 48 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Kathleen Moser — 48 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Charles Withers — 50 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Susan Withers — 50 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Jan Moser — 50 years as a 4-H volunteer
- Tony Carrera — 52 years as a 4-H volunteer
The friends of 4-H Award was also given to an individual and to a business who partner with our Mahoning County 4-H Program to help our youth make the Best even Better. Award recipients were:
- Trooper Dan DeLuca of the Ohio State Highway Patrol for his partnership through our 4-H CARTEENS program.
- Gednetz-Ruzek Brown Funeral Home in Sebring and Salem with owners Christopher Brown and David Peterson for their financial support of our Mahoning County 4-H Program.
The 4-H Alumni Award is given to recognize the inspiration a Mahoning County 4-H alumnus gives to both volunteers and 4-H youth. This year the award was given to:
- Attorney Lynn Maro
Also honored at the banquet were a few of our alumni 4-H Kings and Queens with accommodations being given to them by U.S. Rep. Bill Johnson. Included in those honored were:
- Mahoning County’s first 4-H King Leland Knauf — 1954 King
- 1956 4-H Queen — Kathy Groves Bennett
- 1958 4-H King — Gordon Withers
- 1959 4-H King — Barbara Kile Schenk
- 1962 4-H King & Queen — Fred Schrock & Pearle Hartley Burlingame
- 1963 4-H King — Chuck Withers
- 1972 4-H Queen — Kathy Shepherd Houk
- 1976 4-H King — Steve Moff
The banquet held at the Dutch Valley Inn in Columbiana was a great evening of volunteer recognition and appreciation for all of their time, effort and dedication to youth in Mahoning County.
— Mahoning County 4-H