RICHMOND, Va. — This September, Virginia Farm Bureau’s Real Virginia television program will highlight Lee County as part of its County Close-up segment.
Each month, the County Close-up features a different Virginia county and provides an in-depth look at the area from an agricultural perspective. Burke Moeller, video producer for Farm Bureau, will interview local farmers and others to explore the role agriculture plays in the county, which sectors are most prevalent, and how the industry is changing.
The most recent Census of Agriculture, conducted in 2017, found Lee had a total of 830 farms on 94,904 acres, and the market value of all agricultural products sold that year was more than $15 million. Commodities like livestock, poultry and other animal products account for 74% of all farm income. Crops make up the remaining 26%, with the major plantings being hay and forage, corn for grain and silage, and vegetables. Other commodities produced in the county include grains, tobacco, melons and potatoes.
Moeller can be available for an interview or to meet with local media while recording in the county Tuesday, August 17, and Wednesday, August 18. If interested, contact Moeller at 804-297-5646.
Real Virginia focuses on Virginia agriculture with a consumer audience in mind. The program airs nationwide at 3:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month on RFD-TV on Dish Network and DirecTV, and on selected cable outlets around the state. It airs weekly on WBRA digital channel 15.2, WHRO Norfolk, WVVA Bluefield, and WTKR Norfolk, and on the first and second weekends of each month on WVIR Charlottesville and WRLH Richmond.
Watch Real Virginia anytime online at youtube.com/user/VirginiaFarmBureau.
With 130,000 members in 88 county Farm Bureaus, VFBF is Virginia’s largest farmers’ advocacy group. Farm Bureau is a non-governmental, nonpartisan, voluntary organization committed to protecting Virginia’s farms and ensuring a safe, fresh and locally grown food supply.
–Virginia Farm Bureau