Website National Center for Appropriate Technology
The National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT) is seeking an energetic, passionate, experienced and collaborative Executive Director to provide visionary leadership to NCAT, its staff, board and partners. In joining NCAT’s staff the Executive Director must be deeply committed to public service and to becoming part of our high performing, passionate, and diverse team.
This position would report to NCAT’s Board of Directors and be responsible for all aspects of day to day management and the overall programmatic, administrative and fiscal management, of the organization. The Executive Director will maintain and grow successful and productive, local, regional and national community projects that help NCAT meet its mission. The experienced professional will represent NCAT’s organizational goals and values in a clear and inspiring manner and assure that the organization has a long-term strategy to achieve its mission in alignment with its values. The Executive Director will partner closely with the Board of Directors and senior managers to chart NCAT’s growth and strategic response to demands for the organization’s services.
NCAT is a national, private non-profit organization whose work includes nationally recognized projects in food, agriculture, and energy. The position will be located in NCAT’s Headquarters Office in Butte, Montana. Telecommuting is not an option. Applicants must be willing to travel.
The position requires a Master’s degree in Agriculture, Energy, Sustainability, Environmental Studies, Business Management, Engineering or related field, plus a minimum of 10 years of professional management experience, or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field along with a minimum of 15 years’ experience, including extensive program management. Applicants must have successful experience in the nonprofit sector, working with the government sector or foundations at the senior level. The position also requires a proven track record of delivering superior results and strategic plan implementation. Preference will be given to applicants with background and experience in sustainable agriculture, sustainable energy and rural development.
KNOWLEDGE, Skills and Abilities:
· Commitment and passion for the NCAT mission;
· A thorough understanding of non-profit organizational structure from board of directors to staff roles;
· A thorough understanding of finance, and broad experience with a full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, IT and human resources;
· Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people;
· Be a team builder who is able to serve as a role model with flexibility, adaptability and commitment to fostering a positive work environment and connect to staff both on the individual and team levels;
· Capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower leaders from the bottom-up, and lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the teams, putting people in a position to succeed;
· Ability to think strategically, have strategic vision and anticipate future consequences and trends in order to incorporate them into the organizational plan;
· Knowledge of local, state and national political landscapes including funding, public policy, pragmatic collaborations and best practices;
· Extensive experience with federal and state programmatic grant programs;
Preparing and managing the budget, forecasting, and ensuring sustainable, diverse funding streams;
· Proven success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities, as well as ability to work with efficiency, flexibility and good humor;
· Ability to promote NCAT’s mission and work, while operating with excellence in mind, and have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills;
· Be a self-starter, be courageous, have spark, imagination, creativity and remain focused in the face of pressure, and not be intimated by tasks, timelines and limitations.
· Proven success in fundraising, through foundations, major gifts, planned giving and other programs.
· Work directly with the Board of Directors to establish strategic plans, organizational goals and policies to further NCAT’s mission;
· Lead, manage and support the organization, inspiring passion and providing an overall vison;
· Work with staff to develop and implement project focused funding strategies;
· Build, develop and maintain productive working relationships with collaborators and partners for NCAT mission-related work;
· Work with staff to identify staffing strategies for the organization and to ensure operational resources needed for growth;
· Develop projects, identify funding sources, staff and other resources needed;
· Work with Chief Financial Officer on fiscal management including audit and evaluation, planning, budgeting and maintaining strong, sustainable finance capabilities for the organization;
· Execute all other reasonable requests from the Board of Directors;
· Lead communications and relationships with partners and stakeholders;
· Manage ongoing programs including staff, budgets and program deliverables;
· Provide day-to-day management direction and support for staff and projects.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $90,000 to $115,000 annually depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation and holidays, health, life and disability insurance, a cafeteria and 401(k) plan and a pleasant, professional working environment. NCAT will pay reasonable relocation costs.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be accepted through May 7, 2018 or until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must submit a cover letter highlighting their experience and skills relevant to the listed qualifications, a current resume and a completed NCAT application. Incomplete applications or reference on the application to “see resume” will not be considered. Applications and more information about NCAT can be accessed by visiting our website at www.ncat.org. The website provides a gateway to projects and other websites developed by NCAT staff. You may find an employment application under the Jobs tab. Send completed application materials to:
NCAT Human Resource Office
P.O. Box 3838
Butte, MT 59702
NCAT’s mission is to help people by championing small-scale, local and sustainable solutions to promote healthy communities, reduce poverty and protect natural resources. Our work brings together diverse partnerships and communities to help reduce poverty and protect our natural resources. We strive to be a multicultural organization that embraces the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, religious or political belief and marital or veteran status. Diversity creates healthy communities. Special consideration will be given to applicants who are reflective of the communities that we serve.
For additional information about NCAT please visit our website at www.ncat.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com