Ernst Seeds, Inc., the largest producer of native grass and forb seeds in the eastern U.S., has an opportunity for a Crop Scout/Pesticide Applicator at our expanding Meadville, PA facility.
Position Summary: The primary role of the Crop Scout/Pesticide Applicator is to develop and execute crop input plans to optimize the production return on investment. The Crop Scout/Pesticide Applicator will report to the Crop Inputs Manager.
- Determining plant health and identifying the need for nutrient management, weed control, insect control and/or plant disease control.
- Performing soil and plant material sampling for lab analysis.
- Scouting production fields to evaluate plant health; i.e., observe crops for pest and disease damage and recommend solutions.
- Meeting with managers to discuss best practices for optimizing land use, crop rotation and IPM.
- Consulting with managers on agro-inputs to purchase and use.
Applying pesticides and researching the effects on crops and new input options.
- Evaluating novel methods to maximize productivity.
- Ability to make keen observations on plant growth and field conditions and recommend actions to optimize crop health.
- Ability to make proper field recommendations from information gathered by lab analyses and observations.
- Ability to identify common agricultural weeds, insects and diseases.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to lift 65+ pounds and work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Excellent math, written/verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of common agro-chemicals and pesticides.
- Knowledge of native plants preferred, but not necessary.
- Minimum high school education/equivalent and a valid PA driver’s license.
- Experience operating a forklift and farm machinery a plus.
Attractive compensation and benefits, including medical/vision, Simple IRA, supplemental insurance and vacation.
We encourage anyone with the experience and skills to apply for this opportunity.
Note: All employees may be called on to perform other tasks not noted in their job descriptions in order to improve our efficiency and customer service.
Ernst Conservation Seeds
c/o Cheri Haines, HR Manager
8884 Mercer Pike
Meadville, PA 16335
PHONE CALLS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
To apply for this job please visit www.ernstseed.com.