GAINESVILLE, Fla. — UF/IFAS scientists toil for years creating and enhancing many of the foods we consume and plants we enjoy. When it comes to plant breeding, UF/IFAS is a global leader. In fact, UF/IFAS is ranked as a top-10 horticulture program in the 2017 Center for World University Rankings.
Many of UF/IFAS’ tastiest creations will be available for consumption or on display at this year’s Flavors of Florida event.
Scheduled for April 24 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the University House, 2151 W. University Ave., Gainesville, Florida,, the event offers guests an opportunity to sample foods containing UF/IFAS-developed ingredients prepared by local celebrity chefs. This year’s sample dishes will include citrus, tomatoes, meats, strawberries, blueberries and olive oil to tempt the taste buds.
Additionally, non-edible plants, such as a relatively new cultivar of Mexican petunia, also will be showcased.
Other features at Flavors of Florida this year include:
- Ornamental plants bred by UF/IFAS scientists, such as Mexican petunia (Ruellia simplex). Wild Ruellia was introduced from Mexico and is an invasive plant in Florida and six other southern states. So far, UF/IFAS scientist Rosanna Freyre has developed four sterile cultivars in the Mayan series, which means they don’t become invasive by seed dispersal.
- Music by talented 4-H youth, the Messina brothers of Gilchrist County on the fiddles and 4-H alumnus Chandler Ash playing guitar and singing.
UF/IFAS also would like to thank the following partners for participating in this year’s Flavors of Florida:
- Florida Tomatoes
- Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Florida Foundation Seed Producers
- Straughn Farms
- Florida Sugar Cane Growers
- Florida Blueberry Growers
- Farm Credit of Florida
- Florida Olive Council
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association
- Florida Sugar Cane League
- Florida Peanut Producers Association
- Bates Sons & Daughters
- Classic Caladiums
- Florida Sea Grant
- Hinton Farms
- Quincey Cattle Company
- Spring Valley Farms
- Clear Creek Farm
- UF Field & Fork Program
- Riverview Flower Farm
- Swamp Head
- First Magnitude
- St. Augustine Distillery
- Southern Craft Creamery
For more information about Flavors of Florida, please contact the UF/IFAS Office of Advancement at 352-392-1975 or email@example.com.
For more articles out of Florida, click here.