BERRYTON, Kan. — BASF has received EPA registration for Zidua® herbicide on sunflower. Zidua® can now be applied pre-plant surface, pre-emergence, or early post-emergence to sunflower for residual pre-emergence control of annual grasses, sedges, and annual broadleaf weeds. This product offers superior palmer amaranth and water hemp control.
Approval of Zidua® has been a lengthy process but one that is welcome by Sunflower producers across Kansas. The Kansas Department of Agriculture quickly approved use of the product in Kanas shortly after receiving notification of the registration.
“We hoped this approval would come this year before planting, said Karl Esping, Chairman of the Kansas Sunflower Commission. This is a welcome tool for Kansas growers, approval of Zidua® will make sunflower even more appealing for producers looking for an additional full season and double-crop choice.”
Important notes for using Zidua®
- Zidua® can be applied at 1 to 4 ozs/A depending on soil type.
- Maximum combined rate of Zidua® that may be applied per cropping season:
o 1.5 ozs/A (coarse soils)
o 5.0 ozs/A (medium-to-fine soils)
- DO NOT apply Zidua® preplant incorporated to sunflower.
- DO NOT apply Zidua® to sunflower at cracking or cotyledon stage.
- DO NOT apply a tank mix of Zidua® and Beyond® herbicide on Clearfield® sunflower hybrids/varieties.
— Kansas Sunflower Commission
For more news from Kansas, click here.