JUNEAU, Wis. — This week’s episodes of The Dairy Signal from Professional Dairy Producers (PDPW) will feature experts sharing new information about heifer nutrition, animal welfare and consumer research in beef purchasing and consumption. The Tuesday episode will focus on heifer nutrition from weaning to calving and Wednesday’s broadcast will highlight the latest research regarding barn microclimates. On Thursday, summer 2022 beef-cooking trends and the most recent consumer research from the beef checkoff will take center stage.
Here are more details:
Tuesday, June 14
Understanding heifer-growth benchmarks from weaning to calving and hitting targets for their nutritional needs is key. Dr. Akins will discuss those details and offer strategies for controlling growth and feed costs for pregnant heifers. Episode presenter will be:
- Dr. Matt Akins, Associate Scientist and Extension Dairy Specialist, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Wednesday, June 15
Learn about how microclimates inside barns can affect animal health, production and wellbeing, as well as other trends in housing and animal welfare. Episode presenters will be:
- Dr. Nigel Cook, DVM, Professor in Food Animal Production Medicine at UW-Madison, School of Veterinary Medicine; Chair of the Department of Medical Sciences
- Dr. Jennifer Van Os, PhD., Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist in Animal Welfare, UW-Madison
Thursday, June 16
Hear about the latest consumer research in beef purchasing and promotion from state and national checkoff leaders. They’ll also share promotions and recipes to keep beef on the grill and dinner tables during the summer months. Episode presenters will be:
- Angie Horkan, Director of Marketing, Wisconsin Beef Council
- Sarah Reece, Sr. Executive Director, Brand Marketing, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
- Mandy Carr Johnson, PhD, Sr. Executive Director, Scientific Affairs, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
The Dairy Signal™ is a weekly series of free educational episodes offering insights and resources for fellow dairy farmers and other food system professionals throughout the value chain. Developed by dairy farmers and members of the Professional Dairy Producers® Board of Directors, the episodes air live from 12:00-1:00 PM CT each Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Live sessions offer attendees the opportunity to engage in open Q&A with the speakers; recorded sessions are available later in the day. All Dairy Signal episodes are accessible at www.pdpw.org.
For more information, contact PDPW at 800-947-7379 or by emailing email@example.com. Join the conversation digitally by following @dairyPDPW and using #TheDairySignal on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
Professional Dairy Producers (PDPW) is the nation’s largest dairy producer-led organization of its kind, focusing on producer professionalism, stakeholder engagement and unified outreach to share ideas, solutions, resources and experiences that help dairy producers succeed.
— Professional Dairy Producers