EAST LANSING, Mich. — It’s a new year, time for a new Handy Bt Trait Table updated for 2017. This year brings a major change to the bulletin. After the frequent damage to Cry1F-traited hybrids by western bean cutworm during summer 2016, I worked with two colleagues to add a new column to the table. This column provides information on the insect x Bt combinations with documented field failures, resistance or cross-resistance.
The Handy Bt Trait Table updated for 2017 is posted on Michigan State University’s Field Crops Entomology website. I also posted a list of the citations for reduced effectiveness we used to create the new column.
I will be talking about the control problems with Cry1F on western bean cutworm at the following meetings this winter:
- Jan. 20, Corn/Soybean Day at Founders Hall at Sauder Village in Archbold, Ohio.
- Feb. 20, Branch County Farmers Day in Coldwater, Michigan.
- Feb. 21, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at Cabela’s in Dundee, Michigan.
- Feb. 22, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at the Dowagiac Conservation Club in Dowagiac, Michigan.
- Feb. 23, Pest and Crop Management Update Meeting at the Sanilac Career Center north of Peck, Michigan.