TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Today, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Executive Director Eric Sutton applauded Gov. Ron DeSantis for his Bolder, Brighter, Better Future budget recommendations for the 2020-2021 fiscal year.
The budget will continue to fund high priority conservation items like invasive python eradication, red tide research, and coral reef disease response and restoration.
“This proposed budget solidifies Gov. DeSantis’ commitment to environmental initiatives,” Sutton said. “We appreciate his bold leadership in supporting these efforts and maintaining vibrant ecosystems for fish and wildlife as well as residents and visitors.”
- $9.9 million to combat Invasive Species, which includes an additional $1 million for python removal.
- $3 million for the State Reef Fish Survey to estimate reef fishery populations.
- $1.9 million for Red Tide Research, which includes two dedicated staff.
- $4 million for Mechanical Removal of Invasive Plants.
- $2.4 for Coral Reef Disease Response and Restoration.
- $600,000 to Combat Wildlife Disease.
–Susan Neel, FWC