ST. LOUIS, Mo. – University of Missouri Extension invites fruit and vegetable growers and others interested in produce safety to attend a free training session Nov. 2 in St. Louis.
The workshop is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the MU Extension St. Louis Metro Area Office, 8225 Florissant Road.
MU Extension horticulture specialist Debi Kelly says the workshop is one way to satisfy the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Produce Safety Rule’s requirement for farms to have at least one supervisor or responsible party complete required food safety training.
Participants will learn about produce safety practices and key parts of the FSMA Produce Safety Rule. The session will include time for questions.
- Introduction to produce safety.
- Worker health, hygiene and training.
- Soil amendments.
- Wildlife, domesticated animals, land use.
- Agricultural water (production and post-harvest).
- Post-harvest handling and sanitation.
- How to develop a farm food safety plan.
To register, contact Debi Kelly at 636-797-5391.
— MU Extension