SIOUX CENTER, Iowa — Are you wondering whether to attend Feedlot Forum 2018 in Sioux Center? Organizer Beth Doran, who also is Iowa State University Extension beef specialist for the area, encourages you to ask yourself the following five questions and consider your answers.
1. Do you know what you need to do to keep operating if there is a Foot and Mouth outbreak? If you answered NO, Danelle Bickett-Weddle, associate director for the Center for Food Safety and Public Health at ISU, will explain a plan to keep you in business.
2. Would the beef from your cattle qualify for export to China? Not all U.S. beef will be eligible for this market. Dan Halstrom of the U.S. Meat Export Federation will focus on the specifications various international countries require of U.S. cattle producers to market their beef.
3. Are you raising high quality, safe, wholesome beef? Doug Bear, director of Beef Quality Assurance for the Iowa Beef Industry Council, will share results from the 2016 National Beef Quality Audits for market steers and heifers and for market bulls and cows. Learn how U.S. beef and organ meats stack up.
4. Do you know how Iowa Beef Checkoff funds will be used? Chris Freland and Steve Rehder will report on special projects the Iowa Beef Industry Council will launch in 2018. This is a great opportunity to see how these funds will be allocated.
5. What will drive agriculture in 2018? Mike Pearson, former host of Market to Market, will share his insights about what’s ahead, market outlook and how to meet these drivers.
But that’s not all. Updates on the Iowa Cattlemen’s Association and District 1 ICA will be presented, and the event trade show features 25 sponsors with new products and services to enhance feedlot production. Other highlights include a steak dinner and a $10 beef certificate for each attendee.
Feedlot Forum 2018 is Tuesday, Jan. 16, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at the Terrace View Event Center in Sioux Center. Registration is $25 with a special reduced rate of $10 for students.
See the brochure with the agenda, list of sponsors and registration form on the Iowa Beef Center website (http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/events/FeedlotForum2018.pdf), and register with payment by the deadline of Jan. 11 through the ISU Extension and Outreach – Sioux County Office. Questions? Contact Doran at 712-737-4230 or email@example.com.
— Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
For more news from Iowa, click here.