TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Commissioner Nicole “Nikki” Fried and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services are accepting nominations for the Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award, which has been presented annually since 1994 to recognize environmentally innovative Florida growers and ranchers. Fried announced the call for nominations today in a video on social media.
The award recognizes agricultural producers who demonstrate leadership in developing and implementing progressive techniques to safeguard the environment and conserve natural resources. Nominations must be submitted to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services by Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
“The commitment of Florida’s farmers and ranchers to preserve our state’s precious natural resources ensures that our environmental and agricultural roots will thrive for future generations,” said Commissioner Fried. “I encourage everyone to nominate an agricultural innovator or leader in your community whose environmental contributions are making a true difference in Florida.”
The following environmental practices will be considered in judging nominations for the 2020 Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award:
- Wildlife protection and Habitat Conservation: Provide a safe, vibrant habitat for wildlife within an agricultural operation.
- Pesticide/Nutrient Management: Use pesticides/nutrients responsibly, maximizing benefits and minimizing potential adverse environmental effects.
- Water Quality: Preserve or improve water quality within or adjacent to an agricultural operation.
- Soil and Water Conservation: Reduce soil erosion, nutrient depletion and water consumption, and enhance water recharge.
- Waste Management/Recycling: Reduce waste by recycling agricultural by-products and waste products on site.
Nominations for the award are evaluated by a committee composed of representatives from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, The Nature Conservancy, the state’s Water Management Districts, the Florida Farm Bureau, the Florida Cattlemen’s Association, the Florida Dairy Association, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the Florida Fruit and Vegetable Association, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida’s Soil and Water Conservation Districts, Florida Citrus Mutual, the Florida Nursery, Growers and Landscape Association, and the Florida Forestry Association.
To learn more about the 2020 Agricultural-Environmental Leadership Award, visit our website.