ENFIELD, Conn. — Farm Credit East has awarded six scholarships to students involved in The National Future Farmers of America (FFA) Organization to support their Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE). The scholarship recipients had strong projects and expressed a clear understanding of their projects’ impacts on their future careers in agriculturally related fields.
“Farm Credit East is committed to supporting the next generation of Northeast agriculture,” said Farm Credit East CEO Mike Reynolds. “These aspiring students have drive and passion, and their SAE projects are an important part of their development. We’re pleased to support their endeavors as they strive toward a career in agriculture or a related field.”
The following students each received a $500 scholarship to support their current SAE project or to enhance their knowledge of the agriculture, commercial fishing or forest products industries.
- Stephanie Bernard, of Hamilton Central School, in Hamilton, N.Y. Stephanie’s SAE focuses on raising and caring for free range laying hens, which produce eggs that she then sells.
- Karlee Bishop, of Stissing Mountain High School, in Ancramdale, N.Y. Karlee’s SAE focus was working on a dairy farm. She performs tasks on the farm such as milking and feeding.
- Tarryn Herman, of Franklinville Central School, in Franklinville, N.Y. Tarryn’s production SAE focuses on showing, raising and selling cattle, poultry and swine.
- Malakai Murphy, of John Bowne High School and Queens FFA chapter, in Queens, N.Y. Malakai’s SAE is focused on herpetology and veterinary science, working with dogs, reptiles and amphibians.
- Aisling Smith, of Pinkerton Academy, in Derry, N.H. Aisling’s SAE focuses on animal husbandry, and has grown to include tending a large home garden and raising chickens.
- Emma Weisbrodt, of Tully Junior-Senior High School, in Tully, N.Y. Emma’s SAE is focused on breeding goats, specifically of the Nigerian Dwarf breed.
These scholarships are part of a program offering scholarships twice per year. Farm Credit East is currently accepting applications for the December 31, 2022, deadline. Applicants must be active in their local FFA chapter and reside within the eight states Farm Credit East serves. To apply for a Farm Credit East FFA scholarship, please visit FarmCreditEast.com/
–Farm Credit East