ENFIELD, Conn. — In conjunction with National FFA Week (February 18-25), Farm Credit East is pleased to announce the awarding of eight scholarships to students involved in The National Future Farmers of America (FFA) Organization to support their Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE). The scholarship recipients had strong projects and expressed a clear understanding of their projects’ impacts on their future careers in agriculturally related fields.
“Farm Credit East is committed to supporting the next generation of Northeast agriculture,” said Farm Credit East CEO Mike Reynolds. “These aspiring students have drive and passion, and their SAE projects are an important part of their development. We’re pleased to support their endeavors as they strive toward a career in agriculture or a related field.”
The following students each received a $500 scholarship to support their current SAE project or to enhance their knowledge of the agriculture, commercial fishing or forest products industries.
- Brycen Aukema, of Marathon Central School, in Marathon, N.Y. Brycen’s SAE is focused on sheep production.
- Lorna Becker, of Royalton-Hartland FFA Chapter, in Middleport, N.Y. Lorna’s SAE focuses on restorative gardening.
- Coy Gilchrist, of Hamilton Central school, in Hamilton, N.Y. Coy’s SAE aims to develop welding skills.
- Tyler Lloyd, of Schoharie High School, in Schoharie, N.Y. Tyler’s SAE is focused on dairy herd genetics.
- Honorah McGlone, of Coe Brown Northwood Academy, in Northwood, N.H. Honorah’s SAE is focused on the maple sugaring process, from tap to packaging.
- Sara Norton, of Nonnewaug High School, in Woodbury, Conn. Sara’s SAE aims to upgrade and improve efficiencies in her family’s metal art business before pursuing further education in the field of veterinary science.
- Samantha Spiak, of Saratoga Springs High School, in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. Samantha’s SAE focuses on equine care and horsemanship.
- Isabella Yetto, of O’Neill High School, in Walton, N.Y. Isabella’s SAE focuses on equine care and management.
These scholarships are part of a program offering scholarships to support FFA students SAE projects twice per year. Farm Credit East is currently accepting applications for the June 30, 2023, deadline. Applicants must be active in their local FFA chapter and reside within the eight states Farm Credit East serves. To apply for a Farm Credit East FFA scholarship, please visit FarmCreditEast.com/
In addition, Farm Credit East offers a postsecondary education scholarship to students pursuing careers in agriculturally related fields. The application deadline is April 3, 2023. Visit FarmCreditEast.com/scholarship for more information and to apply.
–Farm Credit East