- This event has passed.
Organic Agronomy Training Series (OATS) - East
The Organic Agronomy Training Series (OATS) is a collaboratively managed, science-based train-the-trainer program for agricultural professionals working with organic or transitioning producers in the United States. This two-day training provides education and guidance on organic production methods and certification necessary for agronomists, certified crop advisors, extension agents, and technical services providers to serve the needs of certified organic grain producers.
OATS will increase the skill and impact of extension staff, agency personnel, consultants, advisers, educators, and technical service providers on organic production systems and USDA-NOP regulatory compliance. The program will build participants’ knowledge base in all key areas of certified organic production:
- Basics of organic production: weed control, nutrient management, crop rotation, pest management
- Systems thinking & long-term strategies for success in organic production
- Managing risk during transition
- Organic certification process & record keeping
- National Organic Program (NOP) rules & regulations
- Organic marketing and crop diversity
- Networking with other organic-focused professionals
- On-farm & hands-on experiential learning on organic operations
The event is being hosted by the OATS Consortium and planned by The Land Connection, Rodale Institute, the IDEA Farm Network, The Andersons, and Purdue University Extension.
Registration closes July 16 @ 11:59 p.m.