- This event has passed.
King Ranch Institute John B. Armstrong Lectureship on Systems Thinking in Ranching-2019
Systems Thinking is a language for learning and action that helps us understand more deeply how organizations and complex systems really function. Understanding the interconnectedness of all aspects of a business operation can be critical to successful management. Ranching is a complex business that requires managers to simultaneously evaluate and consider the consequences of decisions on the ranching operation as a whole. This lectureship teaches principles, processes and tools that empower natural resource managers to better understand and communicate interrelationships in dynamic natural systems.
- Recognize the often hidden and unintended consequences of our actions
- Organize your own thinking to match the way complex systems operate
- Change our behavior so that we are working with these complex forces, instead of against them, to create what we want
- Expand the choices available to us and focus on high leverage changes
- Explain trends, structures and why things are happening
- Apply system archetypes to your own situations
- Identify mental models and their role in structure
- Plan and evaluate actions to improve system performance
Mike Goodman • Innovation Associates Organizational Learning