- This event has passed.
King Ranch Institute Gus T. Canales Lectureship on Prescribed Burning
This four-day lectureship is designed to teach the participant the safe use of fire as a rangeland and wildlife habitat management tool. It provides the formal training necessary to qualify the participant as a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in the state of Texas.
- Apply principles learned in classroom training in a hands-on prescribed burn
- Understand weather factors as they affect prescribed fire
- Develop a burn plan
- Identify the various techniques of prescribed burning
- Discuss fire behavior and how to control a fire
- Recognize the effects of fire on various vegetation types
- Understand the legal requirements for prescribed burning
- Become familiar with safety equipment and tools needed for prescribed burning
Sandra Rideout-Hanzak, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Animal, Rangeland, and Wildlife Sciences, Texas A&M University-Kingsville; Research Scientist, Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Research Institute