ERIE CO., N.Y. — Cornell Cooperative Extension of Erie County’s 4-H Youth Development Program is working on an exciting new project that will introduce youth to the world of 4-H via a hybrid (virtual and in-person) club. “Intro to Garden Science” is a club for youth ages 5-7 that will include 7 sessions beginning Tuesday, March 16th. Activities will take place each month during the 2021 4-H Year.
Do you want your child to be involved in 4-H and learn about Science? Are you looking for some hands-on activities that will get your child moving? This program will fit the bill, so have them join our NEW HYBRID 4-H Garden Science Club! This program will introduce youth to the importance of food production in a wide variety of activities. Youth will learn age-appropriate garden tips from experts in the Vegetable, Fruit, and Soil Science fields while engaging in hands-on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) activities and tours.
The 4-H Garden Science Club for Cloverbuds will help your child explore and learn more about where their food comes from. It will also allow youth to engage in life skills that will give them resources for their future. For more information and to register please visit the following link: http://erie.cce.cornell.edu/4-h-youth-development . To participate in this program youth must be enrolled in the Erie County 4-H program.
The registration deadline is Friday, February 28, 2021. Please contact Megan Burley firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-652-5400×130. Pick Up details for kits will be given after registration. Spaces are limited. If you need accommodations please email Megan Burley email@example.com.
Intro to Garden Science Program Schedule:
- Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 6:00 PM – From Sap to Syrup; Introduction night and a lesson on Maple (Virtual)
- Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 6:00 PM – Lesson #2: Test Tube Hydroponics; learn how to grow plants in water (Virtual)
- Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 6:00 PM – Lesson #3: Herb Thyme; create a container garden with herbs donated by Agle’s Farm Market (East Aurora, In Person)
- Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:00 PM – Lesson #4: Fabulous Flowers; Discover that some flowers are edible and examine the functions of a flower, glad bulbs will be dispersed and can be planted at home and shown at the Erie County Fair (East Aurora, In Person)
- Tuesday, July 6, 2021 Time TBD – Lesson #5: You Pick!; tour a fruit farm and pick some fruit (farm TBD)
- Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at 6:00 PM – Lesson #6: Color in the Garden; learn about soil and create a painting using soil (East Aurora, In Person)
- Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 6:00 PM – Lesson #7 A is for Apple; join us for a fall celebration of the harvest and learn about the types of apples and create a delicious treat! (East Aurora, In Person)
What is 4-H?
4-H is the nation’s largest youth development and empowerment organization, reaching more than 7 million 4-H youth in urban, suburban, and rural communities nationwide. Fueled by a university-backed curriculum, 4-H’ers engage in hands-on learning activities in the areas of agriculture, civic engagement, healthy living, and science, technology, engineering, and math STEM). It is a family-oriented, youth development organization with very deep roots in our community. If you are interested in enrolling in 4-H and participating in Erie County 4-H workshop you can find our enrollment form at this link: http://erie.cce.cornell.edu/resources/4-h-2020-youth-enrollment-forms
–Cornell Cooperative Extension Erie County