MINNEAPOLIS — The Sustainable Farming Association is again hosting its series of popular Cafe Chats, free events featuring area farmers who are practicing soil health principles like cover crops, more diverse species, reduction in soil disturbance and adding livestock.
At each Cafe Chat, area farmers share their soil health experience, followed by open questions and discussion. SFA Livestock & Grazing Specialist Kent Solberg and local SWCD staff will also discuss soil health and answer your questions.
This series includes eight events throughout Minnesota:
- Mon., Feb. 25 – 3-6 p.m. Mon., Feb. 25, Amboy Cottage Cafe, 100 E Main St, Amboy. Featuring area farmers Scott Haase and Andy Linder as well as representatives from area SWCD offices.
- Tues., Feb. 26 – 9 a.m.-noon, at Ellendale Community Center, 507 2nd St N, Ellendale. Featuring area farmers Tom Cotter and Andy Linder as well as Steve Lawler of Mower SWCD and Eric Gulbransen of Steele SWCD.
- Wed., Feb. 27 – 9 a.m.-noon, Pizza Ranch, 1420 Boyer Dr, Marshall. Featuring area farmers Allen Deutz, Ben Dwire and Mike Erbes; as well as John Biren, Lyon SWCD.
- Thurs., Feb. 28 – 9 a.m.-noon, Bart’s Place, 313 Main St N, Renville. Featuring farmers Dean Dambroten and Brian Pfarr; as well as Holly Hatlewick, Renville SWCD.
- Fri., March 1 – 9 a.m.-noon, Valentino’s Restaurant, 110 S First St, Montevideo. Featuring farmers Carmen Fernholz and Richard Handeen; as well as staff from Chippewa SWCD and Montevideo NRCS.
- Tues., March 5 – 8:30-11 a.m., Uptown Cafe, 510 N Main St, Warren. With Lindsay Pease, U. of M. Nutrient Management Specialist; and Naeem Kalwar, NDSU Soil Health Specialist.
- Wed., March 6 – 9 a.m.-noon, Pennington County Office, 250 125th Ave NE, Thief River Falls. With farmers Cecil Deschene & Mikayla Tabert; as well as Levy Bergstrom, Pennington SWCD; and Jeff Duchene, NRCS.
- Thurs., March 7 – 8-11 a.m., Kennedy Cafe, 518 Atlantic Ave, Kennedy. With farmer Kris Solland and Heather Donoho, Kittson SWCD.
These events are free and open to all and include coffee and rolls; no RSVP is required. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Sustainable Farming Association
For more news from Minnesota, click here.