MONTPELIER, Vt. — Between the economy, climate change, changing consumer preferences, and generational transitions, dairy farmers juggle many challenges – but they’re also in a unique position to positively address those challenges through business innovation. The Northeast Dairy Business Innovation Center is excited to announce $900,000 in funding through the new Dairy Farm Innovation & Alternative Management Grant.
With a focus on climate and community-forward production strategies, this grant offers funds for farmers, producer associations, and technical service providers to implement projects that enhance the resilience of our Northeast regional food system.
Potential grant projects may include:
- Creating new models for collaborative and cooperative milk production
- Increasing new and young farmer engagement
- Developing green technologies
- Improving appropriate farm-scale technologies
- Adopting non-standard animal management practices
- Improving water, waste, and manure management
- Developing alternative business ownership and management models
Open to applicants in 11 Northeast states, the Dairy Farm Innovation Grant supports farmers in taking a whole farm system approach and increasing collaboration across the region.
Awards will range from $15,000 – $75,000 with a 25% match commitment.
–Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets