JEFFERSON CO., N.Y. — Through Dairy Beef Quality Assurance (DBQA) producers recognize that every time they cull an animal from the dairy herd, they make the same commitment to food safety and quality that they make when they market their milk.
Approximately 20% of the overall beef production and 30% of the ground beef production in the United States comes from cull cows and bulls. As a dairy producer you may not realize that nearly 50% of dairy beef goes to whole muscle cuts. 89% of rounds and 40% of sirloins are sold as steak.
Because of this fact it is vital that at least one individual on the dairy farm be DBQA certified. This certification will help you identify and avoid violative residue and carcass defects resulting in greater consumer confidence in the overall beef industry.
At this training you will also learn how to promote quality and add value to your cull animals in three key areas of DBQA:
- Manage dairy cattle in a way that minimizes quality defects.
- Monitor the health and condition of dairy cattle.
- Market dairy cattle in a timely manner.
When better quality cows leave the farm the market place, packers and consumers all benefit while also increasing dairy profitability.
Two sessions are scheduled (need to attend both for certification)
Classroom Training: Thursday March 16, 2017 12:00pm – 3:00pm
@ Farm Credit East Farm Credit East, 25417 NY Route 12, Watertown (Burrville)
-Provide the overview of the BQA certification process and cover the critical topics. Time is available for participants to complete the BQA test.
Chute side Training: Saturday March 25, 2017 9:30am – 12:30pm
@ Butterville Farms 11279 County Route 75, Adams (Smithville)
-Review animal handling; needle size, location and mode of application (IM, SQ, IV, Pour-on, implant) and care of pharmaceuticals; what records to keep
BQA trainer: Dr. Mike Baker, Beef Extension Specialist Cornell Cooperative Extension
Cost: $10 DBQA Manual per farm. $5 lunch/person (classroom session only)
Space is limited so please register early with Ron Kuck -Dairy / Livestock Educator; CCE of Jefferson County & Northern NY Regional Ag Team 315-788-8450 (office) 315-704-8810 (cell) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brought to you by Cornell Cooperative Extension with support from the Beef Checkoff.
—Cornell Cooperative Extension
For more articles out of New York, click here.