LAMBERTON, Minn. — If you would like to hear the latest research and information on cover crops from University of MN researchers and educators, reserve your spot for the U of MN field day “Cover Crops: Setting up for Success,” August 20, at the Southwest Research and Outreach Center in Lamberton. University research will be highlighted when discussing management tips and considerations to help farmers and Ag professionals successfully incorporate cover crops into Minnesota cropping systems. Check-in will start at 8:30 and the program will run from 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM.
Registration is requested by August 13 at https://z.umn.edu/cover-crops-success or by calling 507-752-7372 to help with the meal count. The first 40 paid registrants will receive a FREE copy of the “Midwest Cover Crops Field Guide” 2nd Edition. The $25 registration fee includes lunch, refreshments, and handouts.
Topics & speakers include:
- Cover Crop Demo. Key cover crops for Minnesota and options for prevent plant or drown-out spots will be highlighted as well as cover crop decision tools.
- Matching your cover crop to your goals. Axel Garcia y Garcia will take a closer look at cover crop agronomics, and how covers best fit into your rotation.
- Can my cover crop supply my fertilizer needs? Paulo Pagliari will discuss nutrient management impacts when planting cover crops and implications on fertility needs.
- Cover crops and insect pests: The good the bad and the bugly. Bob Koch will highlight the latest research with cover crops and impacts on soybean aphid management.
- What’s the dirt on soil structure? Jodi DeJong-Hughes will lead attendees in a hands-on comparison of management practices on soil health characteristics in soil pits.
- Weed management tradeoffs with cover crops. Liz Stahl will discuss weed management trade-offs and highlight options in a corn/soybean rotation.
- Penciling out cover crops: William (Bill) Lazarus will discuss the short- and long-term economics of cover crops, highlighting tools you can use on your own farm.
- USDA-NRCS update: Shannon Gegner will discuss resources available for farmers interested in planting cover crops.
The program is for farmers, with or without cover crop experience, and for anyone who works with farmers and is interested in cover crops. For further details and to register, go to https://z.umn.edu/cover-crops-success or call the SWROC in Lamberton 507-752-7372.
3.5 CEUs for Certified Crop Advisors have been approved for this program (1.0 CM, 0.5 NM, 1.0 SW, 1.0 PM).
— Lizabeth Stahl, University of Minnesota Extension Educator in Crops
For more news from Minnesota, click here.